bipolar power supply with two wall warts

Started by petey twofinger, April 11, 2013, 03:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petey twofinger

center stage reverb circuit calls for + -9 volts P.S. 

would i be able to simply use two 9 volt wall warts ?

tldr part below :

it may save me a bit of a hassle / headache , if it were to work and be quiet .

i tried this before with a paiaa ring mod , it is a bit noisy but i am not sure if this is the cause . i realize i should just hook it up and see but ... i was hoping someone would chime in with a " this is why that is an awful idea " .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

merlinb

Yes, you could do it with two DC wallwarts. But you could also do it with one *AC* wallwart, using a voltage doubler circuit:

If you want it to be quiet then you really need to add voltage regulators.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: merlinb on April 11, 2013, 08:17:03 AM
Yes, you could do it with two DC wallwarts. But you could also do it with one *AC* wallwart, using a voltage doubler circuit:

If you want it to be quiet then you really need to add voltage regulators.

This makes more sense to me than using two big old wall warts...

R.G.

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 11, 2013, 10:41:57 AM
This makes more sense to me than using two big old wall warts...
Yes, it does, IF:
(1) you have an AC, not DC wall wart to use
(2) you have large filter caps: the half-wave rectification needs caps at least twice as big as a full wave rectified circuit for the same ripple reduction
(3) wall warts are big (and maybe old); some are quite small
(4) you want to build AC-DC rectifier/filters, as these will make a lump about the size of another wall wart.

It all depends on where you're starting from, what you have at hand to work with, and how hard/expensively you are prepared to work.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Paul Marossy

I'm more in the "whatever it takes to do it right" camp.  :icon_wink:

R.G.

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 11, 2013, 12:25:07 PM
I'm more in the "whatever it takes to do it right" camp. 
Me too. But I find that "right" means different things depending on the situation.   :icon_eek:
R.G.

Paul Marossy

Quote from: R.G. on April 11, 2013, 02:33:16 PM
Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 11, 2013, 12:25:07 PM
I'm more in the "whatever it takes to do it right" camp. 
Me too. But I find that "right" means different things depending on the situation.   :icon_eek:

Yes, that is a good point.

petey twofinger

im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself