Some easy DIY digital volume control?

Started by Crontox102098, April 12, 2013, 04:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crontox102098

There are a scheamtic for made a simple digital volume control.. or better, a digital potentiometer... without IC's
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.

merlinb

gritz

Quote from: merlinb on April 12, 2013, 05:30:40 AM
Quote from: Crontox102098 on April 12, 2013, 04:43:15 AM
...without IC's

:icon_eek: ??? :icon_eek:

:icon_lol:

I built an OTA from discrete bipolars once. I'm sure it taught me something, but I'm jiggered if I know what.

What do you mean by digital? Parallel binary to select the resistance? Serial? What exactly do you want to do? There may be an easier way...

amptramp

You can use a multiplying DAC as a digital volume control.  It will not have the logarithmic response that is useful for a volume control, but it multiplies an analog signal on its reference input by the digital signal which can be derived from up/down counters.  See figure 9 here:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/nationalsemiconductor/DS005687.PDF

Crontox102098

I'm dying of laughter!!!, please change "IC's" for "Potentiometer"  :icon_redface: I'm really sorry, i'm making a circuit very small that needs a little circuit for the volume control "WITHOUT" the potentiometer, something like two littel buttons or something like that and don't should be digital.. can be analog or another thing while can do the purposes.. but that dont uses pot's... i speak spanish and its very hard write in english, i'm waiting that you understand me c:.
... i speak spanish and its very hard write in english, i'm waiting that you understand me c:.

I'm Carlos.

artifus

a shaft/spindle for a preset/trimmer pot would be smaller than two little buttons and additional components required. not very rugged but have been used in commercial devices.

Crontox102098

Quote from: artifus on April 13, 2013, 06:50:01 AM

a shaft/spindle for a preset/trimmer pot would be smaller than two little buttons and additional components required. not very rugged but have been used in commercial devices.
(Would or Could) work but where i can get this shaft?
I'm Carlos.

artifus

where do you usually get your parts from? search the site for 'potentiometer shaft spindle'. the above image is from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/resistors/presets.html a small supplier here in the uk. most suppliers should stock them.

Crontox102098

Quote from: artifus on April 13, 2013, 07:06:14 AM
where do you usually get your parts from? search the site for 'potentiometer shaft spindle'. the above image is from http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/resistors/presets.html a small supplier here in the uk. most suppliers should stock them.

I can't to buy that, i doesn't have credit card... :C
I'm Carlos.

artifus

they would be available a lot cheaper elsewhere. check your local supplier.

CarlosP

Quote from: artifus on April 13, 2013, 07:20:53 AM
they would be available a lot cheaper elsewhere. check your local supplier.

I went to my provider but the handles reach the other month :s do not have a circuit in mind please?

artifus

the door is ajar. i'm sorry, my mind is melting. i think my babel fish must have malfunctioned. would you mind trying that question again?

:P

CarlosP

Quote from: artifus on April 13, 2013, 07:56:18 AM
the door is ajar. i'm sorry, my mind is melting. i think my babel fish must have malfunctioned. would you mind trying that question again?

:P

I dont understand anything ._. you telling me that i must do the question again?

artifus

i'm sorry - i am very tired and about to sign off now, i'm sure someone else will be along shortly to help you out. i didn't understand your question:

Quote from: CarlosP on April 13, 2013, 07:41:42 AM
I went to my provider but the handles reach the other month :s do not have a circuit in mind please?

but it's probably more my fault than it is yours - good luck!