Subs for 2N5457?

Started by stonerbox, April 12, 2013, 02:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stonerbox

Gonna build me a Orange Squeezer this weekend. I only got a BF246A and a 2N4303 at home, could they work as substitute for the original 2N5457?
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Kipper4

IIRC J201 are normally a sub for those.
I might just be retaining some info here. I'm sure the guys will put me right if not.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

stonerbox

Quote from: Kipper4 on April 12, 2013, 03:19:01 PM
IIRC J201 are normally a sub for those.
I might just be retaining some info here. I'm sure the guys will put me right if not.

And from what I read one can subsitute the J201 with the BF246A, could it work? :-\  My main question would then be is it worth a try with the 2N4303? These two are the only FETs I got at home.

http://doc.chipfind.ru/solitron/2n4303.htm (Sub?)

http://doc.chipfind.ru/calogic/2n5457.htm (Original)
There is nothing more to be said or to be done tonight, so hand me over my violin and let us try to forget for half an hour the miserable weather and the still more miserable ways of our fellowmen. - Holmes

Kipper4

The most its going to cost you is a few transistors why not try it.
Of course you can always compare the specifications online first and google it.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Keppy

Quote from: Kipper4 on April 12, 2013, 06:52:58 PM
The most its going to cost you is a few transistors why not try it.
With sockets, it won't even cost that. Or just breadboard it first. With the bias trimmer to compensate for differences, I suspect ANY N-channel JFET we use for pedals will probably work.
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

stonerbox

Its not that im cheap, it's just that it is the weekend and where I live (a small town in Sweden) we don't have stores that can provide me with the components. Only online of course.

Keppy

I didn't mean to imply that you're cheap, just that:

1) It's easy to test without soldering (unless you don't have sockets OR a breadboard)
2) Whatever you try will probably work.

Good luck with your build!
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

stonerbox

Quote from: Keppy on April 12, 2013, 08:09:34 PM
I didn't mean to imply that you're cheap, just that:

1) It's easy to test without soldering (unless you don't have sockets OR a breadboard)
2) Whatever you try will probably work.

Good luck with your build!

Haha, sorry my bad. Damn you language barriers!  :icon_smile:

duck_arse

I looked up the pn4303, and I'd say try the bf246A, as it has a lower Vgs, similar to the 2n5457. the pinout of the bf series is the opposite of the 2n series. you want to watch that.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

stonerbox

Quote from: duck_arse on April 14, 2013, 08:03:30 AM
I looked up the pn4303, and I'd say try the bf246A, as it has a lower Vgs, similar to the 2n5457. the pinout of the bf series is the opposite of the 2n series. you want to watch that.

Yes! I just found a second BF246A at home so I guess I'll give em a try! Thanks for the heads up on the pinout, duck_arse. Your nickname, haha.. and what is that profile picture??

duck_arse

that is my root canal in progress. going back next week to get a crown. good luck w/ fets.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.