Tonepad tubescreamer, tone pot issue

Started by JebemMajke, April 16, 2013, 06:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JebemMajke

I've built this legendary pedal. And i;ve used random 4558 and its great. I'll try different opamps. But I think I'lll keep this one.

Anyway I have an issue with a tone pot. After 12 o'clock there is a "pop" and the sound is dark as if it was at 7 o'clock. Until I turn it back to 11 o clock and from there to the lowest setting it works normally.

Labaris

Post a photo of the pot to see the wiring. Did you try another pot?
A long way is the sum of small steps.

JebemMajke

PCB mounted. Didn't try another one. It's a bit late for pot changing.

Mark Hammer

Mustachio

Never to late to change the pot , but I was just about to suggest cleaning the pot too, mark beat me to it hehe :D

Maybe its a bad pot or maybe there's just a lil goo in there from the factory that could get cleaned out with a little spray.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

JebemMajke

Quote from: Mark Hammer on April 16, 2013, 07:42:55 PM
Have you considered cleaning the pot?
Late as in "I'm going to bed, because it's half past midnight, and I'm dog tired" :D
I've changed that little sucker and right of it worked. Thanks

Mark Hammer

Meh, it happens...to all of us.

Congrats.

JebemMajke

So far I;ve tried
random 4558 ( sounds cool, vintage, high middle without dumping the bass )
an 6558 i've got from an old vcr ( sound is gated saturated and modern ... not as high on gain as i expected, my guess is this thing requires rebiasing )
Ne 4558 ( same as that random no name 4558 but with more noise and more mids )
opa 2604 ( shines like a diamond, mids, treble, bass ... everything is there and the overall sound is beautiful )
jrc 4580dd ( high gain, low noise, decent mids ... no wonder this thing goes into riot, but it's far from tubescreamer sound. Truly a high gain dirt box with 4580dd )
1458 ( more bass, more gain than 4558 ... nothing special )

Tomorrow I'll try some more opamps. Opa2604 sounds amazing, but that's not that classic tubescreamer sound. My guess is that this opamp with leds and/or germaniums would sound wicked.

JebemMajke

Opa2604, Op2134 and 1458P ( N was good as well, but P had less noise and more dynamics ) sounded the best. Lowest noise, the best dynamic response. Opa2604 sounded the best with single coils though.