Sources for J201 and 2N5457

Started by GGBB, April 17, 2013, 11:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GGBB

After having read the fake J201 thread, I am wondering if anyone can vouch for the J201s and 2N5457s from Futurlec?  I've got a number of pedals planned that need these.
  • SUPPORTER

pakrat

I don't know about Futurlec but Smallbear has genuine fairchild j201's.

davent

I'm pretty sure Honson/Supmemetronics (on College)  had some 2N5457's when i was there last.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Govmnt_Lacky

It appears that Aron has some J201s in stock!  ;)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

GGBB

Trying to get both from the same place/order/shipment for cost reasons.  Aron doesn't have any 2N5457s, and IIRC doesn't ship to Canada (is that right?).  Smallbear from what I recall is comparatively expensive for shipping to Canada.  I just ordering a whack of stuff from Mouser so I don't have much I can add to offset shipping charges.  If I can come up with a few more things then I'd consider Smallbear if a more affordable source doesn't pan out.

Anyone know about Futurlec's JFETs?
  • SUPPORTER

aron

I do ship to Canada - do it all the time. :-)

alparent

Tayda as them also. If you wait for a coupon you basically get the shipping for free.

Try a couple, if they're good buy as many as you like!

I'm also in Canada. Shipping take about 3 weeks.

GGBB

Quote from: aron on April 17, 2013, 01:09:17 PM
I do ship to Canada - do it all the time. :-)

I stand corrected!  Thanks Aron - good to know.
  • SUPPORTER

GGBB

Quote from: alparent on April 17, 2013, 01:16:04 PM
Tayda as them also. If you wait for a coupon you basically get the shipping for free.

The recent fake JFET thread seemed to confirm that Tayda's J201s are fake.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97600.0
  • SUPPORTER

alparent

What about the 2N5457?

For the price I'd stile try them out.
If they are no good, they will give you a store credit. (Often double what the parts are worth!) Nothing to lose.

As a mater of fact I'll add a couple to my next order and compare them to my proven J201 and 2N5457.

midwayfair

Quote from: GGBB on April 17, 2013, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: alparent on April 17, 2013, 01:16:04 PM

The recent fake JFET thread seemed to confirm that Tayda's J201s are fake.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=97600.0

Tayda's 2N5457s are apparently off, too. They still work just fine in gain stages, but I could not get any of them newer than about 6 months ago to work in the Blue Warbler. I switched to 2N5952s for safety and they all seem to be spot on. For now.

FWIW, I only use 201s for gain stages and they've all been fine for what I've been using them in. But I fear that my irrational love of discrete transistors has backed me into a component hole.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

alparent

Are those 2N5952 from Tayda also?
Would they be good replacements for 2N5457?

midwayfair

Quote from: alparent on April 17, 2013, 01:58:51 PM
Are those 2N5952 from Tayda also?
Would they be good replacements for 2N5457?

Yes, the 2N5952s I got were from Tayda. They are a direct substitution most of the time with a reverse pinout.
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

kingswayguitar

i've had nothing but the best quality and service ordering from the STORE ...link above... of this forum

chromesphere

I remember when the 'heads up' about hte j201 came up around here about 12 months ago.  I ordered 100 for about 5 bucks... I honestly didnt think they would go extinct for 20-30 years or something...but there you go!  Prices are through the roof!  :(  That sucks...
Edit: dont suppose anyone knows a j201 smd part code?  Are they extinct as well?  Just think with some smd to throughhole converter boards they might still be an option...
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

chromesphere

Hi Davent,
Thanks i finally dug it up just now.  Probably not worth the trouble (smd on a throughhole 'converter' board).  Considering the j201 is 50c in the diysb store...and you have to buy 100 smd j201's (from mouse) at 35c each plus shipping (plus the bs of making the boards etc).  Maybe once the thorughhole's dry up...anyway, i have 100 so i should be set for life :D
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube