Dynacomp/Ross Compressor built problem

Started by Benoitcarp, April 18, 2013, 09:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benoitcarp

Hello everybody,

I'm Ben from Paris France. I'm quite a beginner building my own stompboxes. I've done 4 of them but the last one cause me a lot of trouble these days and I really don't know what to do. It's a Dynacomp/Ross Compressor from tonepad. I've followed every instruction and part choice from them but instead of having a nice compression, I have some king of heavy-gated-fuzz that I can still control with the level pot. Turning the sustain one doesn't change anything. I've try to change the circuit from ross to dynacomp but it remains the same. I've tested all the resistors and they seem to be good. All the parts are new.
So I've tried to mesure the voltages around the transistors with my cheap multimeter. It is not precise at all but still I can notice that the results are absolutely different from what I've seen in several topics, especially Q2 (around 1,5V on the collector) and Q5 (around 1,5 on the base)

Question is: Before I buy an expensive multimeter to get all the voltages (What I should do, I know), would you say that this kind of problem come from the transistors or could it come from any other part?

Please help me!

Thanks a lot

Ben

drummer4gc

I had similar symptoms in a dynacomp, resolved by changing out the ca3080 chip, but that may not be your issue. I don't think you need an expensive multimeter, as long as your cheap one has a fresh battery you should be fine.

Use one to check your voltages against the notes in this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=95635.0

Benoitcarp

Thank you, I'm going to try this and I'll tell you about it.