Modding Boss SD-1

Started by jonathansuhr, April 18, 2013, 10:29:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathansuhr

If I replace all the electrolytic caps that are rated <50V, is the pedal safe to run on 18v?

duck_arse

there is an internal zener diode to provide over-voltage protection. the value is not shown on my circuit, but it would be less than 15V, I'm guessing. these are fitted to stop damage from 18V adaptors, and the like.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

MartyMart

Quote from: jonathansuhr on April 18, 2013, 10:29:26 AM
If I replace all the electrolytic caps that are rated <50V, is the pedal safe to run on 18v?

They might get a little large for the enclosure, 25v or 35v is fine and should be smaller - though check when you order them.

Yes the reverse protection diode will have to be replaced.

You will gain some headroom but it's not a huge change IMHO

M
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

DougH

Is that really you, John Suhr?...
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Electron Tornado

Quote from: jonathansuhr on April 18, 2013, 10:29:26 AM

18v is the max supply voltage for the 4558.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

roseblood11

wavley

I don't get the benefit of adding headroom to this pedal, isn't it just going to be negated by the clipping diodes?
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Ben N

I've got a Barber Direct Drive, which is sonically similar to an SD-1 (I use them almost interchangeably even though the Barber's midhump is slightly less pronounced) and advertised to be 18V-ready. I tried 18V for a while, but I honestly didn't hear much of a difference, if any, and it wasn't worth the extra wallwart.
  • SUPPORTER

EATyourGuitar

Quote from: wavley on April 18, 2013, 03:37:22 PM
I don't get the benefit of adding headroom to this pedal, isn't it just going to be negated by the clipping diodes?

maybe double up the diodes while your in there?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF