Tonepad Pulsar Amp choice?

Started by Canucker, April 19, 2013, 12:59:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Ok so I built the pulsar Tremolo from the layout on Tonepad http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=29 ended up with the ticking that half the people who post about this project get...but the weird thing I find is half the people that follow up threads about the ticking claim to have no issue at all. So I was wondering about some info on amp choices people are making with this. I'm using a little solid state fender that I use to test all of my projects. My main tube amp is at a jam spot and other amps are in storage because I'm in the middle of a move.

Things I tried after reading advice in other threads was swapping patch chords...tried four different chords without any difference.
Added the beavis voltage sag to reduce the voltage going into the project...barely any change at all...barely
Tried raising the value of C2 to 100uf (47uf on the tonepad page)...no difference at all.
I even went and tried this mod http://users.telenet.be/orangefg/pulsar_pcb_fix.gif which to be honest I don't know what it does because I found it when I googled "pulsar mods" and it came up in a thread where the poster said "I did this mod"...but I couldn't find a link that explained what that mod was even suppose to do....was hopeful on my part I guess.

Canucker

abbreviated version of the question.....  are you using it with a solid state or tube amp and are you getting loud ticking, no ticking or just a little?

John Lyons

Ticking has to do with layout and wiring as well as circuit design of course.
I don't think the amp will make much difference as far as ticking is concerned.
Just built one on the same layout. No ticking in mine.

Do you have the pedal in a box and wired up with short lengths of wire?
Do not cross the in a out wires...
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

Canucker

Thanks for the response. I was taking a shot in the dark as far as the amp question...just because everywhere I look up reports on this pedal half the people say its dead silent and half say its noisy as can be...

I haven't boxed it up yet as I wanted to make sure it worked right before I started drilling holes in the most expensive part of the project...but putting it in a metal box makes a lot of sense... also I didn't give thought to the wires (though they aren't very long)...They always talk about short leads with the Kay Tremolo but never this project... since its the same type of effect I should have remembered my other build. Thanks for keeping me in line!!!