True Bypass mod for Jerry Cantrell Wah

Started by jonesy, April 19, 2013, 08:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonesy

Hey Guys,

can the crybaby true bypass mod apply to the cantrell wah?

I do know the cantrell wah has the same board as the crybaby and i get the basic idea but just dont want to do any damage or screw up the cantrell wah.

I Have read up on true bypassing crybabys - stinkfoot as well as other threads here and on the net -  but havent found a true bypass mod on the cantrell wah.

thanks!

paulyy

I've heard it is'nt true bypass but it looks to be the same board they use for there GB95 wah. There easy to mod. I just canit seem to find a layout right now. Been up for 22 hours striaght. I know theres one floating around some where.

jonesy

yea its not true bypass, its got a buffer and its the same board as the GB95. wanted to see if anyone has done the true bypass mod to the cantrell wah.

i have the stinkfoot mod info so i might as well go fot it!

joegagan

i have one incoming for repair.  if anyone wants to know anything specific, let me know.

it seems like the regular TBP info will work for it as far as i can tell from pics.

on a related note, the latest jimi hendrix dunlop IS true bypass. the one with the white piping around the baseplate.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

zombiwoof

Quote from: joegagan on April 23, 2013, 10:34:27 PM
i have one incoming for repair.  if anyone wants to know anything specific, let me know.

it seems like the regular TBP info will work for it as far as i can tell from pics.

on a related note, the latest jimi hendrix dunlop IS true bypass. the one with the white piping around the baseplate.

I recently bought a mint condition slightly used Hendrix wah like you describe, and I didn't even notice it was wired for TB!.  I'll have to pop it open to check it out.  Thanks for the info.  I was pleasantly surprised by the sound of this wah, but haven't used it much as my BBE wah has been the one I've been using.  However, my BBE suddenly developed a problem, so that Hendrix wah might replace it as my main wah (at least until I get the BBE fixed!).  I'm also interested in seeing if Dunlop used the same high gain trannies (MSA18?) in the Hendrix wah as they use in all the other Dunlop wahs, the BBE as I recall uses BC-series (can't remember the exact type) transistors.

Al

joegagan

alan, i would be surprised if they changed the transistor part number, they seem to want to change other parts typically( jh is still the same basic gcb95 board).

the reason i know this is because a customer scheduled a TB mod to the wah, when they brought it over i opened it up and determined it was already factory done!
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

jonesy

did the mod tonight and it did not work - no guitar whether engaged or not - getting a high pitched tone when wah is engaged.

going to figure out what the deal is.

jonesy

Quote from: jonesy on April 25, 2013, 11:53:55 PM
did the mod tonight and it did not work - no guitar whether engaged or not - getting a high pitched tone when wah is engaged.

going to figure out what the deal is.

theres an old saying - check the simplest thing first.  :icon_idea:

had the ground and the circuit wires wrong on the switch...... doh!

working like a charm now.