Crowhurst’s ”Fuzz”

Started by tca, April 20, 2013, 06:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tca

Hi,
I've been reading Teemu's book on SS guitar amplifiers and at page 254 there is a small circuit called Crowhurst's "Fuzz":

It is not a very common soft clipping circuit, I havent seen this type of soft clipping any where. Citing Teemu's

"The surprising feature of the circuit is the "attack": The amount of clipping is gradually decreased during sustained overdrive. In
practice, the amount of attack (or the rate of clipping) is controlled by the capacitor's charge, thus the circuit will react quite interactively to playing dynamics: Acquiring the heaviest clipping requires tranquil passages that allow the capacitor to discharge."

Any refs, examples?

Cheers
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

Electron Tornado

I wonder how high "fairly" is.

Put it a circuit and try fiddling with the R and C values.
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

earthtonesaudio

Put a 10:1 transformer on the left side and you have yourself a wall wart.

electrosonic

Found a link with slightly more content and commentary

http://audible.transient.net/archive/doc/curious-reversion.html

Andrew.

The book "Electronic Musical Instruments" by Norman Crowhurst (1971) which that is taken from is available at my local library - I put a hold on it so I should get it in a few days.
  • SUPPORTER

artifus

^ an entertaining read - thanks for posting!

tca

Quote from: electrosonic on April 21, 2013, 12:01:51 AM
Found a link with slightly more content and commentary
http://audible.transient.net/archive/doc/curious-reversion.html

That is the same website were the image is found... very amusing!

Cheers.

tca

Here goes a simple sim. I guess it deserves some breadboarding! (left: high clipping (low R5), right: soft clipping (high R5))

Cheers.

P.S.

Quote from: Electron Tornado on April 20, 2013, 08:03:20 PM
I wonder how high "fairly" is.
More than two diode voltage drops.

kingswayguitar

you couldn't help me could you. r5 is labeled 100m?? what is low r5, high r5. thanks

tca

Quote from: kingswayguitar on April 24, 2013, 09:43:32 AM
you couldn't help me could you. r5 is labeled 100m?? what is low r5, high r5. thanks
No problem! low R5=.1R, high R5=3k

R5 is a 10k pot (look first image).

Cheers.

kingswayguitar

Quote from: tca on April 24, 2013, 09:44:47 AM
Quote from: kingswayguitar on April 24, 2013, 09:43:32 AM
No problem! low R5=.1R, high R5=3k

R5 is a 10k pot (look first image).

Cheers.

cool

Jazznoise

It's basicly a flawed Full Wave Rectifer. One could do the same with a centre tapped transformer and simple put an RC around either diodes.

I've thought of doing similar to my Octavia to change the Rectification from Full>Partial>None
Expressway To Yr Null

samhay

The idea - to have "the amount of clipping ... gradually decreased during sustained overdrive" is the rationale behind my 'Decompression Overdrive' (good to see that I was only 32 years late to that party) and I enjoyed the rant Andrew posted enough to give this circuit a try on the breadboard.

It has its limitations, but it 'does what it says on the tin'. Replacing the 10k resistor with a 10k or 100k pot is a must and it gives a nice 'attack' or 'decompression' effect. Only clipping above 2 diode drops is a bit of a problem and using 1N4148s, you have to hit it with a pretty hot signal. This is a circuit of the Ge era, and it works reasonably well with Ge diodes - I tried 1N34s.
To drag it into the 21st century, I put it in the feedback loop of an op-amp. Works better this way (in my opinion) and you can get away with Si diodes.
As-is the gain is pretty high (>100), so a parallel gain pot helps to make it a bit more civilised. It is pretty easy to clip the op-amp rails, so clipping LEDs are a good addition too.

I am still in two minds about it. It has its charms, but doesn't really do anything my 'Decompression Overdrive' can't do and I'm not sure if I will build it. Will let it sit for a few days and give it another try.

I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

tca

^ Just found your 'Decompression Overdrive' entry, both entries differ in 18 days... I guess there is some cosmological coincidence in all this  ::) I haven't breadboard my version yet, but I do like the idea of a passive clipping (just one opamp) but I'll have a go on putting the diodes on a feedback loop (sims firt). Any sound samples of the 'Decompression Overdrive'? Couldn't found any on your post.

Cheers.

samhay

Yeah - I thought it was a bit of a conincidence, but then I susspect I am not the first person to have thought of something like this since Crowhurst.

While Crowhursts' idea lends itself to a passive section, I think you will find it works much better this way with Ge diodes. I didn't try it this way, but its still on my breadboard and I will give it a go.

I have been meaning to post some sound samples, but have been having a few 'technical difficulties' (finger injury). This has mostly healed, so will try to do something this weekend. If the stars align, I should be able to do a comparision.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

R.G.

Enclosing some DC circuit inside a full wave rectifier in a manner similar to that is an old trick for making an AC version of a fundamentally DC circuit. I've seen several versions.

As in all circuits, the details matter.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Earthscum

I've played around with this configuration a little bit. The last time I tried it I subbed in different diodes to see what they sounded like. I used LPB type clean boost in front and jfet buffer at the end. With 1n4148's, it was kind of overdriv-ish, not too bad, but it didn't really seem as "soft" as I expected. Schottky diodes were easier to get into the distortion range, and the "softness" started to show. GE's were almost too soft, almost like  a tonally modified clean signal. All in all, I wasn't impressed enough to commit anything. It seemed to lack any real character compared to opamp feedback clipping, but that is just my opinion. I originally found the circuit in a patent file somewhere, I believe.

Since I'm slowly making my way back into the effects building game, I may have to revisit this one, though.  ;D
Give a man Fuzz, and he'll jam for a day... teach a man how to make a Fuzz and he'll never jam again!

http://www.facebook.com/Earthscum

samhay

Haven't tried it with Schottkies, but I think Earthscum's comments are probably spot on. I did try with asymmetric clipping - 3 Si + 1 Ge and it sounded a little different again.

tca - I have put a quick clip of the decompression overdrive up on that thread. Will think about side-by-side a comparison with Crowhurst's "Fuzz" during the week.

tca