Dilling pcbs tip

Started by Canucker, April 21, 2013, 10:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Don't know how many other people do this but I figured it out by accident. I washed off my pcb after scrubbing the press n' peel remains after etching. Rather then letting it dry off before drilling I just started drilling right away. It  made the drilling process much cleaner because all of the little bits didn't go flying and there was no smell. Just wipe off the bits after and run it under water one more time, dry and your good to go! Give it a try and let me know if you think its worthwhile.

pakrat

Anything that would cut down on the dust while drilling sounds like a great idea to me. Thanks for posting this Canucker!

Canucker

No problem. I was really  happy to figure out something that could be a contribution around here since I'm always asking questions rather then answering them. All the better that its something that benefits peoples health! I'm sure a few people had the idea ages ago but I've never read it anywhere so I guess a lot of people have yet to discover it!

CodeMonk

I used photo paper myself.
If the board is dry, its all white and kind of hard to see exactly where the holes are.
I keep a damp sponge nearby and wipe the PCB down now and then.
That darkens things up which makes it much easier to see where the holes are.

It does also keep the dust down, which I never really thought about.
I always wear a mask when doing anything with fiberglass or any PCB material.
I also used to have an air compressor going to blow the little bits away.

Canucker

for my next trick I might try aiming a garden hose at my radial arm saw for when I cut boards!  :D :D :D

PRR

> aiming a garden hose at my radial arm saw

$100 at the home center buys a "tile saw" which cuts thin material (tiles) with constant water. You get grey muck all over the floor, but it does beat storing the dust in your lungs.

My next trick might be a masonry blade in the skillsaw in the bottom of a stream. It flows over rock, which means I can't drain my land any lower, unless I cut-down the rock. Blade won't over-heat!! (That water is COLD.) Wondering how much I trust GFI, Double Insulation, and maybe clammer's rubber gloves and boots.
  • SUPPORTER

amptramp

Quote from: PRR on April 22, 2013, 01:08:41 AM
> aiming a garden hose at my radial arm saw

$100 at the home center buys a "tile saw" which cuts thin material (tiles) with constant water. You get grey muck all over the floor, but it does beat storing the dust in your lungs.

My next trick might be a masonry blade in the skillsaw in the bottom of a stream. It flows over rock, which means I can't drain my land any lower, unless I cut-down the rock. Blade won't over-heat!! (That water is COLD.) Wondering how much I trust GFI, Double Insulation, and maybe clammer's rubber gloves and boots.

You could always use concrete cutting saws that run off a gasoline engine.  They might be a little safer to submerge.

Jdansti

^Dynamite!  Just be sure to wear your safety glasses... ;)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

GGBB

Quote from: Canucker on April 21, 2013, 10:57:41 PM
Don't know how many other people do this but I figured it out by accident. I washed off my pcb after scrubbing the press n' peel remains after etching. Rather then letting it dry off before drilling I just started drilling right away. It  made the drilling process much cleaner because all of the little bits didn't go flying and there was no smell. Just wipe off the bits after and run it under water one more time, dry and your good to go! Give it a try and let me know if you think its worthwhile.

When I was at college last century, our dremel PCB drilling station was attached to a wall above a sink and had a water spray hooked up to it.  Not only much cleaner, but also extends bit life.  Need to still wear glasses though - bits can shatter.
  • SUPPORTER

Canucker

I have a tile cutter and it was a good one at $50...the cheap one was $20....I'm thinking thats not what your talking about though.

Paul Marossy

Huh. I was expecting something to do with dill weed as the title says "dilling PCBs".  :icon_lol:

Anyway, nice tip.  :icon_cool:

Electron Tornado

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 22, 2013, 01:21:26 PM
Huh. I was expecting something to do with dill weed as the title says "dilling PCBs".  :icon_lol:

It's the latest thing in PCB production nowadays, to pickle them. Helps preserve them and they keep longer. Well, we'll put that on the mojo telegraph and see where it goes.  :icon_lol:
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

GGBB

Quote from: Electron Tornado on April 22, 2013, 02:18:27 PM
It's the latest thing in PCB production nowadays, to pickle them. Helps preserve them and they keep longer. Well, we'll put that on the mojo telegraph and see where it goes.  :icon_lol:

You can also etch the board that way - although it does take a while.  :)
  • SUPPORTER

Paul Marossy

Quote from: Electron Tornado on April 22, 2013, 02:18:27 PM
It's the latest thing in PCB production nowadays, to pickle them. Helps preserve them and they keep longer.

Oh! So PCB stands for "Pickled Circuit Board"? I get it!  :icon_wink:

Canucker

Quote from: Paul Marossy on April 22, 2013, 01:21:26 PM

At least I can say its one of my funnier typos!

Thecomedian

Hell yeah. This was also posted in the Child thread that's locked away from non logined users and visitors. Members Only subforum.

Cutting perf/vero board.

Always keep surfaces of things with toxic dust wet while cutting them with high RPM tools. Same could be said of manual cutting tools into a material that Dusts at breaks easily.

If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

PRR

> I have a tile cutter ...the cheap one was $20....I'm thinking thats not what your talking about though.

$20 buys a scratch-and-crack. Great for a lot of tile work.

$80++ ($59 on-sale) buys a miniature table-saw with a plastic water-tray.

This will notch tiles, can rough-round corners, cut bevel. For occasional use, it can probably cut good-grade PCB stuff without throwing resin/glass dust.
  • SUPPORTER

Canucker

What I bought was the best quality scratch and crack version...clearly this "hobby" is getting out of hand when I'm looking at things like this, powder coat guns and drill presses.