Finally got around to a Superfuzz.

Started by digi2t, April 22, 2013, 01:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_arse

QuoteWhat was your final approach to the octave lift dilemma?

final approach, that's funny. let's call it "tonights approach", and it has made my circuit diagram a real mess. I'll dig the pertinent out tomorrow and post a diagram.

diode lift is currently a 1k resistor. that Mark Hammer now has me thinking of dividers next the diodes and switching problems, curse him!
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

duck_arse

all my transistors are BC547, 8 or 9 of various makes/grades/ages. the first 3 are 190, 130, 118 hFE, the rectifiers are 472/474, output is 283. I trimmed the bias on the phase-splitter for best headrooms (the 9k1's are what I have). the octave lift shown is what I'm going with. the extra capacitor is meant to AC ground the unfed base without shifting any DC's or poppings. it will work in either leg of Q3. if you don't want that nasty distortion, lift the collector.

in the rectifier, I found it easier to see what it wants to do if you lift the diodes during the breadboard stage. that's why I've fiddled the base resistors, the collectors are now at 4V33 and provide the largest clean swing, small signal, which sometimes peeps-out from under the diodes. I think I observed higher hFE gaving greater rectifier output, but it seems the octave goodness varies with frequency. changing transistors changed the balance and the freq peak. most of this is obscured when the diodes are 'in'.

lifting the octave may increase the noise as well, in which case you can tweak on the balance trimmer, and it may disappear. I've got 1% bias resistors and can tune with a 500R trimmer, but 2k is on the bb now, still keeps the tune 'close' even when 'way off'.

diode lift is just a 1k resistor. the volume increase makes stock sound puny, so it can stay as is. stock volume is puny, by the way, even after messing the last stage for more gain and using a log balance pot.

I dunno if I've come to the same outcome as digi, but I have found some things. there's mayhems in all directions; saturations, disappearings, louder re-appearings in the tail. lotsa times it screams 'feedback', but doesn't actually. someone who can actually play a note might even get some toans from, but not me. I haven't got a fork, so I'm sticking my toothpick in it, no more changes.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.