The 'Gilmour' Build Guide (Deluxe Electric Mistress V4 Clone)

Started by GGBB, April 24, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yuka42

I know i'm resurrecting a old thread....but I'd like to try this build.  The link for the build doc doesn't work for me.  Help?

Ry

yuka42

ha.  Nevermind.  I'm an idiot and a blind one at that.  Found the link.  *walks away sheepishly   :icon_redface:

stallik

Good luck with your build Ry, it's worth it imho. Please post your results
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

stallik

Sound samples from my build, running through each control
Sorry it's a bit blurry, controls left to right are Colour, Range & Speed and each one goes through off, 9, 12, 3 o'clock then full on except speed which starts at 9 o'clock. We all know the range when it's set to 0.
The hiss you can hear at full range is down to the pedal
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Govmnt_Lacky

Great demo! Still don't know why this hasn't been built by more people  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

stallik

Govmnt_Lacky

I think it is the irrational fear of BBDs.

People hear "Analog BBD" and go running for the hills thinking it is too complex or too expensive! Even though this one costs like $5 on eBay and the excellent build doc holds your hand through the entire process  ::)
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

stallik

Perhaps your right about the BBD's and I certainly agree about the quality of the build documents. Best I've ever seen.
After I completed the vid, I was playing about with the Gilmour and delay. A little section from brick in the wall sounded ok so I put the cd on to compare. Just about spot on to my ears! Not that I can play the section properly or the rest of the song at all but those kind of sound are in there somewhere yet there's still no interest.
Maybe the Gilmour sound is just currently less popular?

aishabag23

Greetings,

I know this is an old thread, but I'm going to try anyway before starting a new topic...

I finally finished this build. I built the "Rev. 1 - DC Edition", and I'm powering it with a Radio Shack 12V/300ma adapter. I've been slowly working on it for months when I get rare moments of free time. I'm not getting any effect, but I can hear that the effect is turning on and off when I press the foot switch back and forth. I have continuity throughout, and I do get dry signal both in the on and off position of the foot switch. The volume seems slightly quieter when the effect is switched on, and the tone seems slightly less bright, too.

I'm posting my multimeter readings, in the event that some kind person on here has time to help point me in the right direction with troubleshooting. Anyway, here goes:

My power supply is putting out 12.53V

U2 (4558)
1- 5.22   5- 4.70
2- 5.21   6- 5.20
3- 2.60   7- 5.19
4- 0.00   8- 12.23
(3 & 5 are incorrect)

U3 (RD5106A)
1- 12.21  5- 9.63
2- 0.00    6- 6.02
3- 0.00    7- 0.00
4- 0.82    8- 12.20
(1 & 4 are incorrect)

U4 (LM324)
1- 10.92   8- ~4.xx
2- 5.39     9- 5.50
3- 4.75    10- 5.40
4- 12.20  11- 0.00
5- 1.40    12- 5.40
6- 1.40    13- 5.50
7- 1.40    14- 5.50
(3 & 8 are incorrect)

U5 (LM311)
1- 0.00    5- 12.18
2- 1.40    6- 12.18
3- 1.13    7- 4.98
4- 0.00    8- 12.20

U6 (CD4013)
1- 12.16    8- 0.00
2- ~6.5     9- 0.00
3- 5.01    10- 0.00
4- 0.00    11- 0.00
5- 5.80    12- 0.04
6- 0.00    13- 12.19
7- 0.00    14- 12.20
(1 is incorrect)

Q1 (2N5087)
E- 1.30
B- 0.65
C- 0.00

Q2 (2N5087)
E- 11.84
B- 10.64
C- 1.13
(E & B are incorrect)

Thanks a bunch if anyone has time to help.

Govmnt_Lacky

First thing I would do is look for a short going from the trace run between U3 Pin1 and U6 Pin 1 to anything else.

It looks like you are getting full V+ on your clock pulse rail.

Also, check ALL of your resistor values for accuracy.

aishabag23

aishabag23

Ok, I found a small short that i fixed. And I now have flanging. All the pots seem to be working properly. However, there is a background hum while the effect is on, and it ticks pretty badly except if I have the color knob almost all the way up in conjunction with having the range pot turned almost all the way down. The flanging sounds nice, I would definitely box this up if I could figure out how to eliminate the hum and ticking.

Incidentally, I used shielded wires on both the board in wire going to the 3pdt, as well as for the leads going to the input and output jack tips. Doesn't seem to help the issues though.

I also am only getting effect with the toggle switch in the up position. I get sound but no effect when I flip the switch down. I checked and re-soldered all of my wires.

Any ideas about how to get the hum and ticking issues resolved are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aishabag23 on October 03, 2016, 09:15:10 PM
Any ideas about how to get the hum and ticking issues resolved are greatly appreciated! Thank you.

HUM: Is your power supply regulated? This effect really needs as clean of a power supply as possible. That is why EHX provided them with originals. Also, boxing the effect might help with this too.

TICKING: This effect also benefits from an oscope setup. It is difficult to trim it without one. I recommend that you get it connected to an oscope and follow the build doc trim procedure for the ticking.

aishabag23

Great suggestions, GL. Thanks a bunch for helping me out. I'm going to purchase an EHX power supply, as you've suggested. The one I'm using is regulated (supposedly), but its ancient and a new one would be good to have around. I was going to put this in a nice wooden box, but I think I'll use a metal enclosure to minimize the hum.

I think it's also time to buy an oscilloscope   ;)

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: aishabag23 on October 03, 2016, 09:15:10 PM
I also am only getting effect with the toggle switch in the up position. I get sound but no effect when I flip the switch down. I checked and re-soldered all of my wires.

The toggle switches between Flanger and Filter Matrix modes. When you have the toggle in Filter Matrix, the LFO is taken out of the circuit and you can Manually comb through the filter with the... well..... Manual pot.

Try it again and as you strum the guitar, turn the Manual pot and see if you notice a change in the output.

mth5044

Hello zombie thread - is there a schematic floating around for this? The build dock mentions a link to a schematic, and then says it's unavailable at time of publication. Clicking the link proves it was correct.

GGBB

Quote from: mth5044 on July 22, 2018, 12:54:09 AM
Hello zombie thread - is there a schematic floating around for this? The build dock mentions a link to a schematic, and then says it's unavailable at time of publication. Clicking the link proves it was correct.

The build guide has a link to an alternate schematic which should be available.
  • SUPPORTER

BetterOffShred

mth5044

Quote from: GGBB on July 22, 2018, 07:02:51 AM
Quote from: mth5044 on July 22, 2018, 12:54:09 AM

The build guide has a link to an alternate schematic which should be available.

Ah I see it referencing a schematic to be googled! Thanks!

GGBB

Hmm ... the guide doc was an older version without the alternate schematic. I've re-uploaded the latest version. Click the "Download Document" link near the top above the folder list:

https://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/diyuser/GGBB/The+Gilmour+Build+Guide.pdf.html

And here's where the alternate schematic can be found (bottom of page):

http://www.metzgerralf.de/elekt/stomp/mistress/deluxe-electric-mistress-v4.shtml
  • SUPPORTER