The 'Gilmour' Build Guide (Deluxe Electric Mistress V4 Clone)

Started by GGBB, April 24, 2013, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haveyouseenhim

@Pakrat       She sounds amazing. I don't have any clips at the moment because I'm still boxing it. I'm stuck because I cant find a suitable grommet and AC cord. I'm still up in the air about the graphics. Maybe a picture of Monica Lowenski all electrified and lightning shooting out of her eyes. :-\ sounds stupid :-\   IDK    some kind of famous mistress.   Marylin Monroe maybe

EDIT:
I'm about to blow a @#$%ing gasket. I took apart an old portable hot plate to harvest the grommet and cord because it was perfect for the build. I have taken grommets out before, many times, but a damn nuclear bomb couldn't get it out. I ended up destroying the darn thing.      :'( I just want a grommet :'(
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pakrat on May 18, 2013, 02:17:52 PM
I'm a little skeptical of the sellers on ebay with the RD1506ANP, some feedback reports of fake chips from them. Have any of you guys gotten them from the sellers u-barn or hkutsource?

When I was going through the original build, I had some old R5106 chips that fell into my lap. At one point, I thought they were all bad  :-\

I ended up ordering some from U-barn. I was skeptical as well BUT, they all turned out to be GOOD!  ;D As well as the original R5106s that I started with.

I am still debating on whether or not I want to do another build to test out the 5107s that I have.

I also have some 5108s but, I have not found a good use for those yet  :icon_neutral:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

pakrat

Thanks for that Gov, i'll order them tonight. I have also been lucky with some purchases off ebay, and some not so lucky. I saw one the other day where the picture showed a chip that was sanded.... I mean, you could see the sanding marks on it! At least he was an honest crook eh?

haveyouseenhim

Ok...I got this electric whore to fit into a 1590BB. I'll have a video later, I think I have a little adjusting to do to get rid of the little bit of noise I'm having.
  • SUPPORTER

Ben N

Please... voltaic paramour, or charged courtesan, perhaps.
  • SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on May 18, 2013, 09:49:44 PM
Ok...I got this electric whore to fit into a 1590BB. I'll have a video later, I think I have a little adjusting to do to get rid of the little bit of noise I'm having.

Any success with getting rid of the noise you are having Mike?

Video proof of your agony?  :P
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

haveyouseenhim

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 19, 2013, 07:56:36 PM
Quote from: haveyouseenhim on May 18, 2013, 09:49:44 PM

Any success with getting rid of the noise you are having Mike?

Video proof of your agony?  :P

Funny you say that. I just filmed and it's about half way done uploading.
  • SUPPORTER

haveyouseenhim

• SUPPORTER

Govmnt_Lacky

Great demo Mike!

I think the way you had it set up in the very beginning sounded pretty sweet!

Would still like to see if a log or rev log pot on the Rate control would space out the slower settings more. It gets too fast too quickly for my taste. Still one of the best flangers I have built to date  ;)

GGBB

Love it!  Really nice job.  That sound at 4:10 is so sweet.

Just a note about what you said about the enclosure for the sake of anyone paying attention.  It's the 1590BBS that we recommended for the transformer version which is a taller version of the 1590BB - same width and length, just gives a bit of extra height so that the stomp switch can fit above the PCB.  The 1590BB is fine for the non-transformer version with on-board switch and jacks.  The 1590N1 which you mentioned is the enclosure size for the "mini" version of the pedal (in the build guide as well) which was really the result of me trying to see just how small an enclosure it might fit into.

One of the things I didn't put in the build guide but was intending to was to mention that you could easily cut away parts of the PCB as needed just like you did.  In the non-transformer version, you could leave out the bottom 40% of the board (where the on-board jacks and footswitch mounts are located) and go with off-board connections.  That might help for using the board in a different sized enclosure.  The board could be made as small as 3.5"W x 2.65"H.
  • SUPPORTER

pakrat

+1 Great vid Mike, and I agree with Gov, the settings at the beginning sounded really nice. Now I can't wait for my parts to arrive.

pakrat

Is there any advantage to using the original NOS PW-0205 transformer in this over any other 15vdc transformer?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: pakrat on May 19, 2013, 09:59:44 PM
Is there any advantage to using the original NOS PW-0205 transformer in this over any other 15vdc transformer?

As long as you can get ~18V to the regulator you should be good. The 0205 was chosen because it has been proven in the past and because of its small profile.

Oh... And it's cheap too  ;)

pakrat

Nothing wrong with cheap! I am looking forward to building this, loves me a good flanger. Thanks again for this great project guys  ;D

Ben N

Great demo, Mike, and great job Gord & Govt--you nailed DEM, no doubt about it. I've got a couple of DEM reissues (can you tell how much I love that sound?), but I've GOT to build me one of these--maybe build a LERA into it--so I can actually fit the thing on a reasonable size pedalboard.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

Trying to find the build document but the GGBB folder appears to be missing? Anyone have a link?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

GGBB

Quote from: stallik on May 31, 2013, 10:15:03 AM
Trying to find the build document but the GGBB folder appears to be missing? Anyone have a link?

Anyone else having issues?  Seems okay for me.  Go here: http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/diyuser/GGBB/The+Gilmour+Build+Guide.pdf.html and click the "Download document" link.
  • SUPPORTER

stallik

No - just me - blind, can't read, stupid, old - Thanks & sorry to have bothered you - let you know when mine's complete
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Govmnt_Lacky

Anyone have any news on builds of this to share?

Interested in seeing other success stories  ;D