Small Clone Debug

Started by Canucker, May 04, 2013, 05:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

So I've finally finished the tonepad Small Clone Chorus and it was working just fine for a bit...but then when I came back to play it the next day there was a massive volume drop....like 80% volume gone....I've started to take voltages which is a big job on something like this so I figured I'd take a shot in the dark and ask if there is something I should look at first since the effect is working just fine other then the volume drop. http://www.tonepad.com/getFileInfo.asp?id=97

Canucker

before I sound totally lazy...I did test my battery and its just under 9 volts.

deadastronaut

hi canuker, not sure on your problem, check for a touching wire/pot somewhere if it was working fine before...

however this is a cool and essential volume mod imo, ,

i built the tonepad small clone with added volume control which boosts it nicely...just for added control. as it can seem to dip
with distortions etc..

remove the 10k from the right of the  4558 (next to the 56k) , and add a 100k pot on the output.

done.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Canucker

Thanks for the info....I'd like to try to get it to what was happening originally before I go and add anything to it but once I do that (fingers crossed) I'd totally add that mod!

So I put in the time and here are the numbers that I came up with....

Here are my voltages:
Q1 2N5087:
E = 0
B = 3.7
C = 4.3

Q2 2N5088:
E = 4.16
B = 4.71
C = 8.2

Q3 2N5088:
E = 7.38
B = 8
C = 8.1

4558:
1 = 4.05
2 = 4.02
3 =3.928
4 = 0
5 = 4
6 = 4.01
7 = 4.00
8 = 8.02

LM358:
1 = 1.2 and  2ish(changes between)
2 = 3.65
3 = 3.61
4 = 0
5 = 1 and 3 ish(changes between)
6 =1.97
7 = 2 and 4ish (changes between)
8 = 7.99

MN3007:   
1 = 7.39
2 = 3.672
3 = 4.8
4 = 0
5 = 0
6 = 3.667
7 =4.8
8 = 4.8

CD4047:
1 = 7.24
2 = 0.69
3 = 6.25
4 =7.37
5 = 7.37
6 = 7.36
7 = 0
8 = 0
9 = 0
10 = 3.659
11 = 3.654
12 = 0
13 = 7.25
14 = 7.36

Govmnt_Lacky

Is Q1 in backwards -OR-

Did you mislabel your voltage readings?

Q1 Collector should be 0V  :-\
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Canucker

I wrote it down backwards cus I'm left handed...then double negatived cus I'm Canadian...but then my third negative was in being new enough to this that I brought it all the way back around..... it was working just fine when I put it together (as I said above) and then something went wrong...so I am certain that all the right parts are in all the right places.

Govmnt_Lacky

Ahhhh.

In that case, I gotta agree with Rob. Look for things touching things that aren't supposed to touch things!  ;D
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

Canucker

The more complex the projects I'm tackling the simpler(stupider?) my mistakes are....I've gouged out every trace to make sure thats not an issue...swapped patch chords, batteries, guitars....I'm going to start swapping out jacks now just to take it to the next level. I've got some  hope since it did work at one point.

Canucker

So is everyone thinking the IC's are ok and its got to be a wiring issue? I'm still not getting anywhere with this.

Govmnt_Lacky

Only other thing that looks suspicious to me is Q3.

The Collector and Base look too close to be right. Shouldn't the Base be a bit lower than 8V if the input is 8.1V?

Grabbing for the straw here  :-\

Jdansti

Jus to rule it out, try a fresh battery or PS and see if it makes a difference.
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...