3PDT stomp switches, what kinds to buy? And what is safe.

Started by Hallmar, May 10, 2013, 09:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hallmar

So

Does anyone know the real difference between this
http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/~/product/category=5027572&id=10054083

and this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-30-PCS-3PDT-9-Pin-Effects-Stomp-Foot-Switch-True-Bypass-Black-EA-/360530740362?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53f14e848a

I mean, what reason is there for me not to buy the ebay ones?

The reviews on that seller is top notch and China always sends free to Europe.

The first 3pdt switches i got where from some seller on Ebay and so far they've worked perfectly for the last 3 months.

Then you got the "Cliff" switches and the ones that smallbear sell. I'm really confused.
Honey, let's sell the children, move to Zanzibar and start taking Opium, rectaly.

chromesphere

From what ive seen, there are some on ebay that have a really poor 'crunchy' switch mechanism.  They are terrible... You want to avoid those.  I bought them some time ago on ebay and they were really bad.  There are minor differences cosmetically, like the white plastic washer on some are a dirty / browny color, the epoxy can melt if its no good as well (and the lug falls out!) but its mainly the feel of the switch that I look out for.

I recently received 3 3pdt's from Isaac from Mammoth that I just finished recording a quick review of for my youtube channel.  It wont be uploaded for a few weeks, but I can tell you the difference in the switching mechanism from their 'standard' range to 'premium' to 'pro' was very noticeable.  I could easily tell one from the other blindfolded.

That said, they will probably all work from a long time!  Unfortunately though with ebay, you don't know which one your getting.

Let us know how you go if you buy them!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

smallbearelec

Quote from: Hallmar on May 10, 2013, 09:41:25 PM
I mean, what reason is there for me not to buy the ebay ones?

Chromesphere gave a good answer (Italics Mine):
Quote from: chromesphere on May 11, 2013, 02:44:47 AM
...with ebay, you don't know which one your getting.

I charge more than some sellers because I offer products of known provenance and consistent quality. Both CIC and Alpha make excellent versions of this part (CIC originated it more than 10 years ago), and the wholesale price I pay reflects this. Some Chinese factories make good parts, and others make garbage to sell to buyers who don't know better. At least to some extent, you get what you pay for.

Regards
SD

DiscoVlad

I've had no problems with the switches I've purchased from both small bear, or the store here. Even with shipping they're both cheaper than buying 3pdt switches locally in New Zealand.

haveyouseenhim

I only order mine from bitches love my switches and tayda. BLMS has them for cheaper and they are pretty high quality from what I can tell.
  • SUPPORTER
http://www.youtube.com/haveyouseenhim89

I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms.

kingswayguitar

i hate to admit it but i just bought from:
janeh2100 and ocean-beach
on ebay and the switches were good. but based on my experience with the store here I prefer to spend most of my money here.

Arcane Analog

http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/

This is the best price I have found and if you find a lower price Lawrence will beat it. It is noteworthy that he uses the switches he sells in the pedals he builds. I have yet to have an issue with any of his switches.

kingswayguitar

Quote from: Arcane Analog on May 11, 2013, 08:12:49 AM
http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/

This is the best price I have found and if you find a lower price Lawrence will beat it. It is noteworthy that he uses the switches he sells in the pedals he builds. I have yet to have an issue with any of his switches.

Those ARE incredible prices.

Hallmar

Hmm, i think i'll skip buying off ebay because of the quality guarantee that Smallbear, BLMS and Mammoth have.

I think i'll be more comfortable knowing exactly what i'm buying.

Not going to buy off ebay, buying from either Bitches or Smallbear.

Thanks!
Honey, let's sell the children, move to Zanzibar and start taking Opium, rectaly.

davidjnichols

I always just order from Tayda.  I like them.  They're about .50 more than Bitches, but I've had good experience with them, and I add them to my other large orders so I don't have to pay extra shipping.  Tayda's Facebook page also posts 15% off coupon codes every month.  Small Bear is freaking expensive and I'm not sure why people rave about them so much.

Arcane Analog

Tayda has them for $3 per switch and ships from Thailand which is a solid 2-4 week wait for North American buyers. Tayda's shipping jumps quite a bit when you add switches or enclosures to an order. I stick with components only from Tayda.

BLMS has them for $2.22 and discounts for quantity purchases which Tayda does not. I usually buy them for $2 each from BLMS. The shipping is less and they only take a few days to arrive for North American buyers.

I buy monthly from Tayda but I save a good $50+ getting them from BLMS even with Tayda's 15% discount. If you only buy a few it would probably be worth Tayda's price.

Hallmar

Quote from: Arcane Analog on May 11, 2013, 01:52:47 PM
If you only buy a few it would probably be worth Tayda's price.

I'll probably buy about 30 pcs.

Most likely i'm going to order enclosures also from BLMS.

kodiakklub

+1 on BLMS. although i just got some enclosures from him for the first time and they are a softer alloy of aluminum than mammoth's boxes. i only drilled a 1590A so far. havent tried the 125B yet.

and I think its a pretty safe assumption that there are probably only 2 manufacturers in asia pumping out the stomp switches, so just go for the cheapest price and most dependable seller.

Mark Hammer

Wherever you end up buying from, do yourself a favour, put some liquid flux on the solder lugs, and make sure your wire (or whatever you use to connect the switch to the circuit) is tinned.  Many DIY-ers end up applying too much heatto the solder lugs for too long, and it ends up liquifying the grease inside the switch.  The liquid grease flows all over the contacts inside, and when it re-hardens it ends up insulating the contacts.  Many builders will misinterpret this as a bad switch, when actually it is the result of bad soldering technique.  If switch-makers had as high a failure rate as many hobbyists seem to experience, they'd be out of business fast.

You will have more consistent success in using the switches if you get in and get out quickly (flux and pre-tinning will expedite matters), and leave a little time for the contacts to cool down between doing solder joints.

Arcane Analog

Quote from: kodiakklub on May 11, 2013, 06:06:45 PM
+1 on BLMS. although i just got some enclosures from him for the first time and they are a softer alloy of aluminum than mammoth's boxes. i only drilled a 1590A so far. havent tried the 125B yet.

I must admit that I have not yet tried one of his enclosures.

pinkjimiphoton

bitcheslovemyswitches is the best deal i've found so far. lawrence scaduto rocks.

i've gotten some bad ones from ebay, too... they get intermittent, but look just like most of the other ones i've seen.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr