ZVEX SHO debug

Started by Canucker, May 11, 2013, 02:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

Looks like I'm doing a lot of debugging on my projects this week...I think I'm jinxed. Is there any chance that the diodes are backwards in this layout I've posted? I have it put together and it doesn't work (no sound at all) unless I put the transistor in in the opposite direction thats shown (obviously my pin outs could be different) and the pot does nothing (and I tested it with my meter to see that it does in fact function as it should)...overall its like an unboost because it drops the volume a bit when engaged. The readings I'm getting off of the transistor are

Thanks in advance for any feedback. You guys save my butt every time!
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb292/frequencycentral/SHOPCB.gif

Kipper4

I built mine from a schematic rather than a layout but it all looks to be ok from my comparaison.
i dont think the diodes are wrong either.
i'll put the DMM and check the voltages later today for you
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

Kipper4

Grey Paper.

Jazznoise

My advice would be to check value of R1 with your DMM. There might be some slight shorting.

Have you checked the orienation of your BS170?
Expressway To Yr Null

Canucker

Quote from: Kipper4 on May 11, 2013, 11:27:45 AM
im getting
00 v

Thanks for checking. I'll give it another look tonight. I have some of those tiny screw drivers (the kind you use for glasses and such) that I dig out the inbetween bits to avoid shorting...like I literally dig into my board sometimes. At least I'm getting sound so I'm part way there.
I've tried out the transistor each way....I'll put it under the magnifying glass tonight and look up the entire code to see how that manufacturer organizes the pinout.

Canucker

Don't you hate when someone starts a thread about debugging something they built and they never actually say anything when they solve the issue? or you just think that they never did and gave up all hope??? Well I came back to this thread so I'm not that guy.... At first I had issues cus I foolishly used the wrong diodes...which ever the one diode version diode was...I used two in the two diode version...so I figured that out quick enough...still no luck.....now a heck of a long time later I took another look and couldn't for the life of me see what the problem could be....then I though...hey I bought a few more of those transistors in my last tayda order and the one I put in this was from downtown....so I though for a last ditch effort why not swap the transistor....the one from downtown was marked BS170A.....the tayda had no A at the end of it....popped it in and I was good to go! This thing is dirty and sounds great!!! Thanks guys.

Kipper4

Excellant. Have fun buddy glad you got it going.
Rich

Grey Paper.

Canucker

Thanks! It sounds great even on my little solid state project tester amp...way dirtier then I expected from the youtube vids.

Kipper4

I know what you mean mate but that crackle is great isnt it?

Grey Paper.

Canucker

Quote from: Kipper4 on June 03, 2013, 11:18:26 AM
I know what you mean mate but that crackle is great isnt it?

I guess I built mine with parts that are either too good a quality or too bad...cus there isn't much crackle! maybe thats something I should debug.  :o

Jazznoise

Really? I got plenty of crackle when I turn the knob, and I used a reasonably expensive pot.

It's a cool one, it reacts very different to different guitar pickups.
Expressway To Yr Null

Canucker

Quote from: Jazznoise on June 03, 2013, 05:01:19 PM
Really? I got plenty of crackle when I turn the knob, and I used a reasonably expensive pot.

It's a cool one, it reacts very different to different guitar pickups.

i didn't really crank it when I was adjusting things. Are you saying your expensive pot reacts different to different pick ups or the pedal/effect? I'm using mine with gibson humbuckers in a les paul copy and I love the results.

Jazznoise

No, the crackle should be consistent so fear not!  What I meant is that varying the input impedance for different pickups has very dramatic results. For instance with the gain set to 0 on my Bridge and Mid pickups on my Strat you get really bright funk tones going on - almost Nile Rodgers esque. Then the neck pickup is crazy bass heavy, cool for running into a big muff.

Then as you crank it they all become these different voicings of a really thick distortion . And also insanely loud! On my Jazzmaster it gives me more britpop at 0 and then by 10 it's just gone really agressive and midrangey - it's an almost sleazy sounding overdrive tone.

I like this pedal so much I haven't even gotten around to wiring the bypass switch. It's always on! Get some friends to bring guitars, try em out and see how it changes them. I even like it on bass  ;)
Expressway To Yr Null