A more compact PCB anywhere for the Univox Superfuzz?

Started by mordechai, May 13, 2013, 11:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mordechai

There's a good PCB from available from a kit supplier, but it's rather large and essentially a direct copy of the original circuit's PCB.  I'm wondering if there's a somewhat smaller PCB for this circuit, and preferably one with plated through holes for a bit more solid solder contact.  Anybody have a suggestion?

DiscoVlad

It's at the top of my "I really should get this done... but haven't yet" list. I'm making one up that I want to fit inside a 1590N/125B box, but haven't had the time (despite making some tonebenders/big muffs) and can't get it neat enough for my liking...

mordechai

Hi Vlad and thanks for the reply.  I was even just thinking about something that could fit comfortably into a 1590BB with a little room to spare, even something about as large as GGG's Big Muff Pi clone board would still be a huge improvement over the original sized boards or the veroboard layouts that take up so much space.

Mark Hammer

craigmillard

I have built the ustomp one and squeezed it in a 1590b  :icon_biggrin:

EATyourGuitar

if there is enough people interested, I can just design a super small PCB and put it in my store. I made a super badass distortion plus PCB and not one person was interested  ??? lesson learned, I will only do it if people actually want it. I am really bad at guessing what people want. I can promise you right now that I can make it fit 1590A even with a bourns 3386P trimmer for bias.

someone on that forum that has no name posted this SMD thing but the wasted space has me scratching my head as to why even go SMD at all?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF

mordechai

Well, I for one would certainly buy it.  In fact, I'd buy several, since I'd make a few of them for other musician friends as well.  And I think if there was a fabbed PCB with a more intuitive and ergonomic layout arrangement than the original (.e., pads for controls and such situated with greater care) people would respond positively...it seems to be a very popular circuit to noodle with.

mth5044

I just got back three Ibanez Standard Fuzz pcb's that I made that easily fit inside a 1590.. I believe the circuits are very similar if not identical? In any case, I need to verify it, but if it works, I'd be more than willing to sell off the other two!

And the resistors are all lined up in numerical order  :icon_lol:

electrosonic

The Ibanez Standard fuzz uses a single jfet at the input, compared to the more complex two transistor voltage feedback setup at the front end of the Superfuzz. Not sure of the sonic differences between the two.

A nice schematic of the Ibanez Standard Fuzz can be found at analog guru's site

http://analogguru.an.ohost.de/193/schematics/Ibanez_StandardFuzz.gif

Nice looking pcb

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Jeast78

Quote from: mordechai on May 14, 2013, 07:35:09 AM
Hi Vlad and thanks for the reply.  I was even just thinking about something that could fit comfortably into a 1590BB with a little room to spare, even something about as large as GGG's Big Muff Pi clone board would still be a huge improvement over the original sized boards or the veroboard layouts that take up so much space.

Hi Mordechai,

I just built a Superfuzz clone using the ustomp.com (http://ustomp.com/?p=12) PCB layout and schematic - see pic below; the PCB is pretty small.  I'm not sure what size the enclosure I used is - it's basically exactly the same dimensions as a Little Big Muff Pi, whatever that is - but as you can see, the PCB fits quite nicely.

Ignore the tangled mess...it's my first ever build, and I really didn't know what I was doing!  Works a treat, though!

R O Tiree

I've got a design that is 2.1" x 1.3" if you're interested? Through-hole, not SMD.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

selfdestroyer

Quote from: R O Tiree on June 13, 2013, 01:51:53 AM
I've got a design that is 2.1" x 1.3" if you're interested? Through-hole, not SMD.

Also interested.

R O Tiree

Here are the files if you want to make it yourself:

Schematic
PCB Artwork
Component Layout

I can make one for you, for a small consideration... etched, tinned, solder-masked, drilled, milled. Let me know?

Mich P

selfdestroyer

Quote from: R O Tiree on September 02, 2013, 02:05:00 PM
Here are the files if you want to make it yourself:

Schematic
PCB Artwork
Component Layout

I can make one for you, for a small consideration... etched, tinned, solder-masked, drilled, milled. Let me know?

Thanks so much. I might have to build this one and ditch my older UStomp one.

R O Tiree

No worries, chaps.

The traces are 15 thou and the isolation clearance is 12 thou. If you're using photo-resist, that is no problem, but PNP Blue will struggle. Photo/glossy paper toner transfer might also struggle to get this close without miniscule whiskers of copper spoiling your day.

selfdestroyer

R O Tiree, I etched and populated your PCB and I seem have a problem. I lent my audio probe out so I may have to make a quick one but here are my voltages.

I used 2N2222 for all 6 since I liked them in my UStomp ver. and I used 1N34A for the diodes.

Transistor E B C
Q1 8.09 8.82 8.10
Q2 8.08 9.55 8.82
Q3 7.96 8.54 7.98
Q4 1.40 2.02 1.43
Q5 1.40 2.02 1.41
Q6 0.85 0.86 0.82

I have no idea is they are supposed to be that high in voltage and Q6 be so low. I did check all my polarity components and they were all proper. Suggestions?