Test Equipment Source

Started by PeterTheRed, May 20, 2013, 01:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterTheRed

Hi Folks,

I'm just getting started on a first guitar FX build.  Parts are ordered, but I've got nothing to test with!  I've been fortunate in the past to have access to some high-end test equipment, but now that I'm setting up my own bench, I certainly can't afford a fancy Tektronix DSO...

First and foremost, I need a Digital Multi-Meter.  The venerable Fluke 87 is nearly $400 new, and from a very brief search, used ones seem rare.  What are you all using, and where can you find it?

I'd love to get an oscilloscope; I can't afford a 'real' oscilloscope.  Any experience with Hantek / OWON / other low-cost asian 'scopes?  PC-based 'scope systems?  or those little 'ARM nano' pocket portable devices?

If you were looking for used test equipment, where would you look first?

... thanks for helping a newbie get set up.

armdnrdy

Quote from: PeterTheRed on May 20, 2013, 01:10:54 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm just getting started on a first guitar FX build.  Parts are ordered, but I've got nothing to test with!  I've been fortunate in the past to have access to some high-end test equipment, but now that I'm setting up my own bench, I certainly can't afford a fancy Tektronix DSO...

First and foremost, I need a Digital Multi-Meter.  The venerable Fluke 87 is nearly $400 new, and from a very brief search, used ones seem rare.  What are you all using, and where can you find it?

I'd love to get an oscilloscope; I can't afford a 'real' oscilloscope.  Any experience with Hantek / OWON / other low-cost asian 'scopes?  PC-based 'scope systems?  or those little 'ARM nano' pocket portable devices?

If you were looking for used test equipment, where would you look first?

... thanks for helping a newbie get set up.

I have a Fluke 87 for my work...but as far as stompbox building I have found that it has limitations. Frequency and low capacitance.

As far as used equipment...it depends on where your located. Here in the States I found a used oscilloscope circa 198X that suits all of my needs for $25.00 on Craigslist.

I recently built a bunch of test equipment that I had been needing. Bipolar adjustable bench power supply, (-24/0/+24 volts) Function generator, (1Hz-2MHz sine, triangle, square wave) and a Frequency counter. (1Hz-10MHz)
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

iccaros

meter -- > http://www.harborfreight.com/ac-dc-digital-multimeter-37772.html
they also have  a nice smaller one for $3

they have lots of tools on the cheap that I use, $30 drill press with 2 year replacement no questions asked.  Break $15, PCB bits $5 ect...etc.

Jdansti

Ha! Steve beat me to it, but here's my take on the DVM:

At the risk of sounding simplistic, for stompbox building, one of those little Harbor Freight giveaway meters will do everything you need including checking transistors. Granted they're not auto-ranging and the stock probes suck, but they're more than adequate. I purchased an inexpensive, but better set of probes for mine and have been using it for years.  If you catch them when there're not giving them away, they go for about $6.

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

armdnrdy

This is worth every bit of six dollars....unfortunately, I would like a meter that reads more than 20µf!

Also, This model doesn't read frequency.  :icon_sad:

Here's the specs:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/37000-37999/37772.pdf
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

Quote from: armdnrdy on May 20, 2013, 05:50:00 PM
This is worth every bit of six dollars....unfortunately, I would like a meter that reads more than 20µf!

Also, This model doesn't read frequency.  :icon_sad:

Here's the specs:

http://manuals.harborfreight.com/manuals/37000-37999/37772.pdf

Good points. I'm still trying to figure out why they included the schematic and BOM in the manual. I think it's ironic that you can't find schematics to help you repair a $250 pedal, but you can for a $6 meter. Who's going to need a schematic for a throwaway device?   I guess if someone were masochistic enough, he could DIY his own meter.  ::)

• SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

PeterTheRed

Quote from: Jdansti on May 20, 2013, 07:21:55 PM
I guess if someone were masochistic enough, he could DIY his own meter.  ::)

... There's an Idea!  (but, how would you know if it worked properly?)   I suppose stompbox building isn't as critical an application as some, and meter-el-cheaperino might be completely adequate.  I'll look into Harbor Freight a bit more.

armdnrdy - that's cool you built some of your own bench equip.  You mentioned that you've found shortcomings in the Fluke 87 for stompbox-ing.  Can you elaborate?  They specify a max frequency of 200kHz and max capacitance of ~10k uF - are these not enough?  What do you use for a meter?

Any other thoughts on the 'scope issue?  Maybe an older analog one.  Bulky and limited in ways, but cheap!  Not opposed to spending a few hundred-ish for a decent machine (note, it'll be used for more than just stompboxes), but not in a position to shell out a few grand or more...

Arcane Analog

I think a scope is unnecessary especially for a beginer. You have yet to build a circuit. Build one and test it with your guitar and amp - no scope required.

amptramp

Basic digital multimeters from China are fine - just remember that some meters only go to 2 megohms maximum resistance and this is not enough for most LFO's and many FET circuits.

Oscilloscopes are available used at cheap prices - just be sure you get decent probes with them.  Triggered sweep two channel is good but single channel non-triggered is usable if you are not going to use digital effects.  Decide whether you ever want to go with digital effects - that requires added frequency response to show logic edges.

woody alien

+1 from me for decent multimeter. Just take a look at the specs, and compare prices. I know, it isn't necessarily an easy thing to do while you are beginner. Been there. In fact, my other leg is still there.

Instead of browsing the net through all thousands of user reviews of available devices, focus on most grumpiest reviewers. One, that I'm aware of, has Youtube channel called 'eevblog'.
I haven't fully checked his catalog of reviews, but it consist (besides others) multimeters and oscilloscopes, from cheap to pro-level.

In short, it depends on your budget, but if possible, invest bit more to get durable, and reliable multimeter.