News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Tone Control

Started by juan_felt, May 20, 2013, 11:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juan_felt

Hi everyone,

I'd like to modify the tone control on an effect, but I don't really understand how it works. If anyone knows a website where it's explained, or wants to explain it to me I'll appreciate it!

Thanks!

J0K3RX

Quote from: juan_felt on May 20, 2013, 11:02:16 PM
Hi everyone,

I'd like to modify the tone control on an effect, but I don't really understand how it works. If anyone knows a website where it's explained, or wants to explain it to me I'll appreciate it!

Thanks!

What effect?
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

juan_felt

Mark Hammer

What is the goal of the desired tone control:

• radical personality changes?
  • optimizing the sound so you don't have to adjust tne controls in other places? (e.g., guitar, amp, EQ pedal)
  • compensating for something?
  • stumbling onto new sounds?

There are many ways to adjust tone, each having its own particular sort of limits or "costs" to the circuit.  You need to identify a particular goal or set of goals first, and then people will be able to direct you to the right examples and information.

juan_felt

I'd like to set the tone control to a fixed position and add a mid scoop pot.

Jederino

Just read this based on the TS 9, but gives some great insight on what's going on.

http://www.muzique.com/misc/AMZ_tone.pdf

Mark Hammer

Quote from: juan_felt on May 21, 2013, 10:17:03 AM
I'd like to set the tone control to a fixed position and add a mid scoop pot.
Again, why?  I'm not sayng that your purpose is silly, just that you need to specify what it is you want to be able to accomplish at the end of the day.  Some folks want to be able to make very different sounds from the one box.  Other folks like the basic sound of a box but want juuuusssssttt a little less "hair" on it, so that effect and bypass seem more coherent.  And so on.  So what is the purpose you are trying to achieve with the suggested changes?