Hexaphonic pickup mixing

Started by snufkin, May 23, 2013, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snufkin

Hi all this is an unusual question, I am currently building a guitar with a magnetic heck pickup in the bridge position

I want to send the separate signals out of the guitar for processing on a multi pin connector and keep it separate to the rest of the wiring
but thought it would also be interesting to have a second quarter inch jack and a set of six mini volume pots to allow a mono mixed hex signal from the pickup to alter chord voicings ect
how would I go about mixing the six separate signals without interference can I passively wire them through 6 potentiometers/resistors like a normal diy passive mixer or would I need a mini powered mixer ?

thanks
easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

mth5044

I would imagine you could repeat the cap-resistor combo and tack on two more inputs to this schematic by Jack Orman on AMZ and turn each of the 100k resistors into a volume.

Mark Hammer

samhay

The AMZ simple mixer would work, but the input impedance for each pickup is only 100k, which is a bit low for typical pickups. Is your pickup passive or active - or more importantly, what is its output impedance?
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

snufkin

around 850 ohms

I was expecting to preamp the signals externally but liked the idea of on board volume for on the fly re-voicing

easyface,phase 90,many fuzz faces,feedback looper,tremulus lune and so on soon to be ADA!

R.G.

Quote from: snufkin on May 23, 2013, 05:39:55 PM
around 850 ohms
That's probably its resistance. What's its inductance?

Inductance dominates the impedance of pickups at high frequencies for most pickups, and I suspect it will here, as well.

Consider buffering each pickup, and then almost any mixer will work fine.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

snufkin

Gurner

This is how Roland handle their hexaphonic pickup (though, they're calling it a divided pickup in the schematic below)....

Jaicen_solo

Take a look at the schematics for the original Roland divided pickups on www.Joness.com/GR300. Some of them (LPK-1) were mini humbuckers measuring around 800 Ohms, so that might give you an idea of what's needed. I strongly suggest building in a Hex-Fuzz if you're going to the trouble of building a proper pre-amp per string.

snufkin

Thanks Jaicen

the eventual plan is indeed to build a simple hex fuzz, I originally started this project to do just that but as my tastes have mellowed I have become really interested in more subtle revoicing effects too
what I am really building is what I like to call an "expanded guitar" that extends the possibilities of the instrument without straying too far from the original spirit
my playing technique is not fantastic but I realised long ago that I love open chords and long sustain so the eventual plan is to fit a sustainer of some type as well