Orange Squeezer bypass question....

Started by Canucker, May 25, 2013, 11:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canucker

I've looked over and over for the thread where I read this but I can't seem to find it.... someone mentioned that if you use a true bypass switch when you turn on the effect you get a second of silence before you get sound back...something to do with power going to the input cap.... and if your switch isn't true bypass you don't get that happening....so did I read that and its actually a fact or did I just make it up in my head. When I built the effect I didn't wire it up with a switch because I was low on switches (and still am)...now its time to wire it up and I figure I'd ask before I went to the trouble of doing something that will cause issues. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

peterg

I built the orange squeezer from the Tonepad (they call it *naranjiti 2") schematic. It shows a true bypass switch. There is no sound loss when switching.

Mark Hammer

No, you read it here, and I have to say it has been my experience that this is fact.

Canucker

Quote from: Mark Hammer on May 26, 2013, 02:26:21 PM
No, you read it here, and I have to say it has been my experience that this is fact.
Did you build the tonepad version? because thats the one I built. Guess I have to try it out for myself and see what results I get with my gear.

R O Tiree

I designed my own board for this circuit and never had any problems with it.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Canucker

Quote from: R O Tiree on May 27, 2013, 06:21:13 AM
I designed my own board for this circuit and never had any problems with it.
Cool! Did your design differ from the tonepad one in any specific (on nonspecific) way?  :P

davent

Mine has the momentary fade as well, i have the input grounded when bypassed and wonder if that is the contributing factor in this issue?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Canucker

Quote from: davent on May 27, 2013, 11:43:09 PM
Mine has the momentary fade as well, i have the input grounded when bypassed and wonder if that is the contributing factor in this issue?
does the fade change at all if you change the pot settings?

R O Tiree

My Input is grounded as well when disengaged - no problems here.

@ Canucker - I designed mine myself to get as small as I reasonably could. Switch and LED are board mounted. The only thing I did differently to the Tonepad layout was to terminate the un-used half of the op-amp differently - a pair of 390k resistors as a voltage divider to the +ve input and the -ve input connected to output, instead of tying the +ve input to GND, as in the Tonepad v2 layout. I can't imagine that has anything to do with it, though - it's just my OCD kicking in, keeping the op-amp at Vcc/2. That said, I used a TL072, not a 4558. I know that TL072s can be finicky in certain ways... I wonder if you and Dave used a TL072? If so... naaah... it wouldn't, would it?
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Canucker

I used a 4558 with it. I haven't added a switch yet...but I built a second one before reading about the possible flaw and the issue I have is I laid out my pcb for a surface mounted switch...but I haven't finished that one...so I have two without switches so I figured I'd see about getting to the bottom of this before putting together and pulling apart my projects!

induction

I had a similar problem at first.  It was caused by the switch popping on the input side, which triggered maximum compression.  As the compression released, the signal faded in.  In my case the pop was caused by a faulty switch.  I replaced the switch and the problem was solved. 

I could hear the pop audibly, though.  So if you don't hear any pop, it might be something else.  Though, I can imagine a situation where the pop slightly precedes the switching so the pop isn't audible but still triggers the fade-in.

Something to consider, at least.

davent

Quote from: Canucker on May 28, 2013, 12:58:50 AM
Quote from: davent on May 27, 2013, 11:43:09 PM
does the fade change at all if you change the pot settings?

Got a chance to play with this this morning and pot setting made no difference.

Quote from: R O Tiree on May 28, 2013, 05:18:31 PM
My Input is grounded as well when disengaged - no problems here.

@ Canucker - I designed mine myself to get as small as I reasonably could. Switch and LED are board mounted. The only thing I did differently to the Tonepad layout was to terminate the un-used half of the op-amp differently - a pair of 390k resistors as a voltage divider to the +ve input and the -ve input connected to output, instead of tying the +ve input to GND, as in the Tonepad v2 layout. I can't imagine that has anything to do with it, though - it's just my OCD kicking in, keeping the op-amp at Vcc/2. That said, I used a TL072, not a 4558. I know that TL072s can be finicky in certain ways... I wonder if you and Dave used a TL072? If so... naaah... it wouldn't, would it?

Designed my own layout as well- based on the standard schematic, tried a TL072 and made no difference.

Had read that having the circuit input always connected to guitar might help, snipped the circuit input jumper from the grounding lug of the switch, re-connected it to the guitar input lug of the switch (-> circuit input lug) so guitar always remains connected to the circuit but again no difference. Still get the fadeout and a quick return to normal volume.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Canucker

bummer! This reminds me of the Pulsar Tremolo.... some people have the problem some don't and nobody can figure out why...with the Pulsar its the ticking with this is the volume loss......to anyone and everyone....how many guitars have you tried yours with???? Could it be an issue for some guitars but not others (active vs non active pick ups)???? or is it a matter of what you put it before or after in your chain of effects.  I test all of my stuff on a little solid state practice amp so the amps distortion comes after everything else....which isn't the recommeneded and it certainly makes issues with a tremolo ten times worse!

artifus

if that were the case a simple buffer inserted prior to anything else would confirm.

davent

With a pedal like the Orange Squeezer how do people usually use them? Is it an effect that switched in and out during the course of a piece or is it something that's generally just engaged and left on all the time, it is a pretty subtle effect.

dave

Canucker

I certainly wouldn't want it on all the time....I just want to use it for intros, bridges or outros. It would really suck to have a momentary gap just before an outro....not much of a problem for intros though!