Tonepad Maestro Sample Hold Capacitor questiuon

Started by mikeford, May 26, 2013, 12:42:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeford

Hullo,
I am building the Tonepad version of a Maestro sample and hold filter layout and I have a question about some caps in the circuit.
I had a generalguitargadgets layout by Jd sleep that I built and loved, but Francisco's inclusion of the "Tonda" mods and that charge pump was quite enticing for me to drop the cash and get sundry parts needed!

First, some of the caps called for in the circuit is a 0.03uF/30nF cap, but all I have a 33nf.

The other caps are three 0.05uF/50nf but all I have are 47nf caps. In a search of the forum looking  for some insights, I ran across this post by fogwolf:
"I think the only critical cap in there is the 0.05uF between the two FETs. That's the S&H cap. You'll want something polystyrene or polypropylene there. For the other caps, Mylar will probably do fine."

Can anyone chime in on this? I'm kinda broke and don't want to burn anything up! Thanks a heap!

rousejeremy

Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Mark Hammer

Jeremy's right.  When you consider the typical tolerance of capacitors (+/-10%...or more) there is no guarantee that any cap you were able to track down with those exact numbers (.03 and .05) painted on the side of the cap would actually even HAVE that exact value.

For virtually all purposes of relevance to use here, things like pots that say 47k are the same as 50k, and caps that say .004 are the same as caps that say .0039, and so on.  Don't sweat it.  If you find you don't like the resulting sound, then certainly consider measuring the caps in question and maybe rummaging around your parts bin for caps that are closer to the stated value.  But for now, sleep content knowing that you are well within the ballpark of what the schematic says.

mikeford

Thanks gents! I shall plug up the 'ol 30/15W  faithful and get to it! Have a nice afternoon.