Wooden enclosures?

Started by icydash, May 26, 2013, 04:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

icydash

Hey guys, I'm building a pedal and I'd like to put it in a wooden enclosure (rather than metal) for a variety of reasons I won't get into here (but one of which is style).   I have searched all over the internet, though, and can't seem to find anything that's the right size.  I need something roughly (in inches) 5 width x 3.5 length x 1.5 high.  Also, if possible, I would like it to be unfinished because I'm going to laser onto it my own graphics.  Any help would be appreciated. 

I guess I could make it myself, but if I eventually mass produce these, that would be annoying (so I'd rather just have something I can order online).

icydash

Actually, ideally, the height should be between 1 and 1.5 inches.

armdnrdy

We are living in the age of plastic.

The conclusion to a long (days) internet search was that I couldn't find a sloped, 10" X 6" enclosure made out of metal.

My advise is to design the enclosure that you want in a CAD program, (or have someone else design it with your given dimensions) and then find a shop that will make a few prototypes. In the end you will have the design for production if need be.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

icydash

I guess plastic can work, too, but i'd really prefer wood.  But if you guys happen to know of a plastic box that fits my dimensions, please post it! =)

Mac Walker

armdnrdy

Well look at that Mac!

Remember when I contacted you about a custom metal enclosure?

Well this wood enclosure ships from Turkey. I guess the Turks haven't made the leap to plastic yet.

And he stated, "screw the rear cover"........does that mean he doesn't think you need a rear cover?  ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

icydash

Mac: I actually saw that listing in my search earlier today but the height and width is just a little bit off.  But I didn't think about contacting him to see if he could craft something the right size, so I will do that.  Thanks for the idea.

icydash

I also found this, but the website crashes when I try to place an order:  http://www.worldofboxes.com/unfinished/arts-crafts.htm?group=254&item=2453

Jdansti

Check out hobby and craft stores such as Michaels and Hobby Lobby (assuming that you're in the US).
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Mac Walker

icydash

Yeahh I tried most of the craft stores with no luck. 

Thanks for the link to that thread, maybe I'll contact him.  Although I can do all the engraving using a laser guy where I live; I just need the right sized box to engrave onto.

garcho

Sounds kinda like cigar box dimensions.
  • SUPPORTER
"...and weird on top!"

artifus

Quote from: icydash on May 27, 2013, 10:47:33 AM
... I can do all the engraving using a laser guy where I live; I just need the right sized box to engrave onto.

you know a laser guy? http://www.makercase.com/

timd

The thing you need to be careful with is the wall dimensions of the wooden box. Most wooden boxes I've seen and used for builds have walls that are too thick for the 1/4 jacks, DC jack, etc. These require more drilling and countersinking but are great if you have the time and patience. The thinner ones are easy to drill and fit components, but might collapse when stomped on.

icydash

That laser cut website is super cool.

Thanks for the heads-up on the wall thickness of wooden boxes.  I hadn't thought of that.  Looks like I'll be doing some countersinking, if I can even find a friggin box that fits.

I looked at some cigar boxes but they are far too big (like 8inchs +).

Arcane Analog

Mr. John Lyons of Basic Audio frequents this forum and he has a few great examples on his page. I am sure he could be of assistance.

John Lyons

Quote from: timd on May 27, 2013, 01:18:13 PM
The thing you need to be careful with is the wall dimensions of the wooden box.
Most wooden boxes I've seen and used for builds have walls that are too thick for
the 1/4 jacks, DC jack, etc. These require more drilling and countersinking but are
great if you have the time and patience. The thinner ones are easy to drill and fit
components, but might collapse when stomped on.

^ This is your main issue. When I make wooden boxes this is my main concern.
If the box is too thick when the jacks/switches are mounted the box is unuseable.

Here are a couple older ones I made.

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

timd

John - I love the second and third ones! Great stuff.

icydash

John - where do you get your enclosures?

John Lyons

^ I made them.
thanks Tim
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/