why can't we make our own transistors?

Started by pinkjimiphoton, May 30, 2013, 03:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

couldn't you just connect to diodes together and use that as a transistor?

if it would work, i wonder what it would sound like?
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

merlinb

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on May 30, 2013, 03:39:09 PM
couldn't you just connect to diodes together and use that as a transistor?
No, because the two diodes would not be sharing a single lump of silicon (the base region).

But it is possible:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmotkjMSKnI

rousejeremy

ultra mojo. these make NKT275 look like a 2N3904
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

fuzzo

actually you can make your own semi-conductors at home   ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdcKwOo7dmM

R.G.

Yep, it's the injection of charge into the shared base region that "poisons" the ability of the reverse-biased collector-base to hold off current flow that makes transistor action. Gotta be a shared base.

But yes, one can make transistors. FETs are actually easier than bipolars.

But the original bipolars were made with a chunk of purified germanium crystal which was carefully im-purified with N-type  impurities. Then, a chunk of metallic indium was put on either side of the base  ... yep, that's where the term came from... slab of germanium and baked. The heat caused the indium to diffuse into the germanium base, causing one region that ... emitted ... charge carriers and one that ... collected ... them.

Germanium was mankind's "learner kit" for making semiconductors because the conditions for diffusing it into semiconducting junctions is less demanding that for it's low-leakage cousing, silicon. Germanium slabs were sandwiched with indium and baked on trays in atmosphere-controlled ovens. The resulting transistors had lead wires soldered to them and were tested and sorted into grades.

It's more demanding than many garage-shop operations, but not terribly. Of course, the early transistors were not terribly good, either.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

armdnrdy

There! You now have it Jimi....now get to work and make us all a batch of J201s.

After you "master" that....I'll take a few hundred PHOTON1024's and JP3005's   ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Jdansti

You need some dope, dude...   ;)

I can get you a hit of high grade gallium...   ;D
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

pinkjimiphoton

;)

*I* need DOPE??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

lololololololol.....
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

armdnrdy

"If you don't finish yer stompbox, you can't have any dope!.
How can you have any dope if you don't finish your stompbox?"
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

pinkjimiphoton

YOU!! YES YOU!! WITH THE SOLDERING IRON !!! STAND STILL, LADDIE!!!!

all in all you were all just parts in my board???   :icon_mrgreen:

• SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

petey twofinger

roger , caroline is on the phone , congratulations , you have just discovered the secret vero , please send your germanium to old pink care of the funny farm at .....
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Thecomedian

Quote from: R.G. on May 30, 2013, 07:14:46 PM
Yep, it's the injection of charge into the shared base region that "poisons" the ability of the reverse-biased collector-base to hold off current flow that makes transistor action. Gotta be a shared base.

But the original bipolars were made with a chunk of purified germanium crystal which was carefully im-purified with N-type  impurities. Then, a chunk of metallic indium was put on either side of the base  ... yep, that's where the term came from... slab of germanium and baked. The heat caused the indium to diffuse into the germanium base, causing one region that ... emitted ... charge carriers and one that ... collected ... them.

Germanium was mankind's "learner kit" for making semiconductors because the conditions for diffusing it into semiconducting junctions is less demanding that for it's low-leakage cousing, silicon. Germanium slabs were sandwiched with indium and baked on trays in atmosphere-controlled ovens. The resulting transistors had lead wires soldered to them and were tested and sorted into grades.

It's more demanding than many garage-shop operations, but not terribly. Of course, the early transistors were not terribly good, either.

different types of doping agents for the regions also affected it's behavior to some degree, which is why I think there may be subtle difference in "sound" from early germ transistors to ones made either today or in the 80-90's.

Germanium switches slower, silicon is faster. lately they're finding more use for GeSi composite ICs to take advantage of the properties of both materials and do stuff neither could do alone. Kind of like how Tubes are having a resurgence in use in specialized functions, as very very small objects.

They still use tubes at least somewhere and wire wrap in space planes afaik.

As far as chaining diodes into a transistor, I tried that in LTspice and it wouldnt do anything. It has to be physically connected sandwich layers and not by wire.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

wavley

Quote from: R.G. on May 30, 2013, 07:14:46 PM

Of course indium is REALLY expensive these days, we use it at my work in cryogenic dewars for it's excellent thermal transfer capabilities, basically as a really expensive gasket that we have to scrape off carefully and reuse.

Quote from: Thecomedian on May 31, 2013, 01:58:42 PM

Germanium switches slower, silicon is faster. lately they're finding more use for GeSi composite ICs to take advantage of the properties of both materials and do stuff neither could do alone. Kind of like how Tubes are having a resurgence in use in specialized functions, as very very small objects.

We have been researching the use of SiGe devices for use in the low GHz with mixed, but promising, results.  Not as nice as discrete InP HEMTs, but better than MMIC at these frequencies.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

J0K3RX

Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

tca

You could try and build a zinc negative resistor: http://www.sparkbangbuzz.com/els/zincosc-el.htm And make an amplifier out of that!

Cheers.
"The future is here, it's just not evenly distributed yet." -- William Gibson

brett

Hi
just thinking that the dimensions of the required layers are about the thickness of paint. Put some micro-fine Ge in an aerosol can with a volatile carrier like acetone or ethanol and ....spay a JFET?
Aluminium is a bit cheaper and easier than Indium as a doping agent. Alfoil is very thin (100 atoms!) and small areas (1mm^2) contain very few atoms. Perfect for doping a gram or two of Ge.
Of course, the Ge will be also be + or - doped by common contamination. With luck, the doping would vary spatially, producing a variety of devices. And the transistors might not necessarily require multiple layers. They might exist 'across' a sheet of sprayed Ge.
just 2c worth...
cheers

Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)