SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Solder hunt

Started by petey twofinger, June 06, 2013, 07:11:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jdansti

^How did you do dat?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

davent

Google Translator, American English -> Canadian English.

I think it was Haveyouseenhim Mike i first saw let the genie out of the bottle, insert a 'blank space/character' within the word in question and the software doesn't recognize it as a naughty bit. Blank = Alt0173, must use the numeric keypad.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Jdansti

Aha...Leave it to Mike to figure that one out! :icon_twisted:
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

petey twofinger

i went thru a pound of kester in two years .
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself

Gurner

:icon_mrgreen:
Now how do say older, bolder, folder etc?    

Exactly....

J0K3RX

Kock dik sh!t v@gin@ cooter... gotta learn the slang lingo yo :icon_mrgreen:
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

J0K3RX

Quote from: J0K3RX on June 09, 2013, 07:07:08 PM
Kock dik sh!t v@gin@ cooter... gotta learn the slang lingo yo :icon_mrgreen:

I'm sorry  :icon_redface: that was inappropriate...
Doesn't matter what you did to get it... If it sounds good, then it is good!

Thecomedian

Quote from: PRR on June 07, 2013, 11:49:51 PM
> we find that cornflakes is leading to the demise of the ring-tailed grasshopper.

It was supposed to cause the demise of excess sexual urges.

Agree: less than one pound of good brand-name 60:40.

I like Multicore; my other roll is Kester. I have not gone through 2 whole pounds in my whole life (including large patch-bays). If you don't over-pay for a Half-Pound, do that.... it ain't Silver, it isn't a good monetary investment hedge.

> serve acidic drinks in lead containers

It's *in the glass*. If your drinks etch glass, they are too acidic.

http://ask.metafilter.com/14337/Does-the-lead-in-lead-crystal-glasses-leach-into-wine

Glass is a high viscosity liquid, by definition. That's why cathedral glass always looks like it's melting and pooling at the bottom, with the tops being very thin and the bottom being very thick.

All metals are fluxes. Lead is a super cheap abundant metal, that has an extremely low melting point. Added to silica, this allows people to form and create glass at 1000 degrees, instead of, say, 2000 or 2400, (my ceramics professor teaches us to create work at 2345 degrees Fahrenheit).

The lead makes it cheaper for them to make, and then they turn around and tell people it's the best thing ever, where people only look for the label of how much useless metal was put in it, and they believe that makes it more valuable. It's pure ignorance and marketing.

for Further info:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/08/19/science/q-a-945129.html

QuoteQ. Is it safe to drink from our lead crystal wine glasses?

A. It is probably safe to have wine with dinner from your glasses, though varying trace amounts of lead do leach out of lead crystal, as a Columbia University study found in 1991. Those researchers estimated that the lead released in the course of a meal posed a negligible risk.

Canadian government tests also found that the amount of lead released into a glass of wine in the time a meal can be eaten is well below the Canadian maximum allowable concentration of lead in a beverage, 200 parts per billion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_glass
QuoteLeaded crystal wineglasses and decanters are generally not considered to pose a significant health risk, provided that these items are washed thoroughly before use, that beverages are not stored in these containers for more than a few hours, and provided that they are not used by children.[14][verification needed][15]

It has been proposed that the historic association of gout with the upper classes in Europe and America was, in part, caused by their extensive use of lead crystal decanters to store fortified wines and whisky.[16] Lin et al. have statistical evidence linking gout to lead poisoning.[17]

Items made of lead glass may leach lead into the food and beverages contained.[18][19] In a study performed at North Carolina State University,[20][verification needed] the amount of lead migration was measured for port wine stored in lead crystal decanters. After two days, lead levels were 89 µg/L (micrograms per liter). After four months, lead levels were between 2,000 and 5,000 µg/L. White wine doubled its lead content within an hour of storage and tripled it within four hours. Some brandy stored in lead crystal for over five years had lead levels around 20,000 µg/L.[21][22] To put this into perspective, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's lead standard for drinking water is 15 µg/L = 0.015 parts per million.[23] Citrus juices and other acidic drinks leach lead from crystal as effectively as alcoholic beverages. [24][25]
http://www.nytimes.com/1991/02/19/science/storing-wine-in-crystal-decanters-may-pose-lead-hazard.html

Remember, Our skin is a permeable membrane as well, so handling = leeching. It's one of the reasons I think it's ridiculous that we treat animals for fleas and ticks using a topical substance that we are supposedly in grave danger if we eat without washing our hands. Bloodstreams are bloodstreams.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

nocentelli

Quote from: Thecomedian on June 09, 2013, 08:02:34 PM

Glass is a high viscosity liquid, by definition. That's why cathedral glass always looks like it's melting and pooling at the bottom, with the tops being very thin and the bottom being very thick.

I always thought that, too - It seems opinions differ:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

Thecomedian

Quote from: nocentelli on June 10, 2013, 03:59:19 AM

I always thought that, too - It seems opinions differ:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/General/Glass/glass.html

The difference of the glaze on a ceramic pot and a piece of glass is the level of viscosity (both are made of silica). the explanation that spinning out those rondels of glass (the circles they made) were thicker at one point than the other doesn't hold weight, because evenness is related to the skill of the crafter, and not some standard.

I can go ahead and bring this up with the professor next time I see him, but the atomic structure disordered and not evenly spaced lattices.

They finish the article by saying that saying it's a liquid or a solid can both be valid points of view..
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

nocentelli

We're well off topic, but never mind: Everywhere i look into it, glass is considered an amorphous solid, and not a liquid: http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.ualberta.ca/~bderksen/florin.html

QuoteConclusion
Glasses are amorphous solids. There is a fundamental structural divide between amorphous solids (including glasses) and crystalline solids. Structurally, glasses are similar to liquids, but that doesn't mean they are liquid. It is possible that the "glass is a liquid" urban legend originated with a misreading of a German treatise on glass thermodynamics.

I only teach high-school chemistry, but for years went on repeating to my students the same "super-cooled liquid" stuff i was taught at school. I'm not sure it's true. Similarly, for years, we taught that excess stomach acid causes ulcers and gastritis, until Barry Marshall won the Nobel by showing that they're caused by a bacteria (he drank some straight out of a petri dish, apparently).
Quote from: kayceesqueeze on the back and never open it up again

induction

Technically, glass can be considered a high viscosity liquid, true.  The definition of 'liquid' is a bit ambiguous in this context, but by some definitions, you could correctly make this statement.  The rest of the statement is false.  The viscosity of glass is high enough at room temperature that the amount of time required for such a deformation is longer than the age of the universe, even if you are extremely generous with the viscosity estimate.  This is an application of continuum mechanics, which I happen to be trained in.  I did a fairly simple calculation in graduate school to satisfy myself that the 'flowing glass' phenomenon was a myth, but here is a much more complete analysis by Edgar Zanotto (a Brazilian materials scientist), published in the American Journal of Physics, if you're interested.

Even if you don't want to go through the math, there are other obvious bits of evidence that refute the cathedral glass examples.  For instance, glass sculptures that are much older than these cathedrals have been found (for example in Egyptian tombs), and demonstrate no such deformation.  In fact, antique telescopes provide a uniquely relevant test bed for these claims, since the optical characteristics of lenses are sensitive to changes that are not even detectable by the naked eye, so the effect of 'glass flow' would be noticeable at much shorter time scales than cathedral window examples.  While not optically perfect, antique telescopes show no systematic deformation consistent with the 'flowing glass' myth. 

I guess this isn't really relevant to stompboxes, but it's fun anyway.

Thecomedian

Well it disturbs me that a Cal state Uni graduated professor who won multiple scholarships from multiple universities and colleges, blows hot glass and has permanent works collection in a national museum, is teaching students that glass is a liquid in the very first class for stained glass design. hm.

induction

Don't be disturbed.  Glass can be accurately described as a viscous liquid, especially when heated to glass blowing temperatures.  As the temperature decreases, it doesn't undergo a phase change, so you can still call it a liquid at room temperature if you want to.  It's just that the viscosity of this 'liquid' is so high that it doesn't behave like a fluid at timescales that are anything less than many multiples of the age of the universe.

So you can say it's a liquid and you won't be lying, necessarily.  You just can't say that it flows like a liquid at room temperature, or that cathedral glass proves that it does.

In science, what you call something is less important than the way it behaves.

bluebunny

Quote from: induction on June 10, 2013, 10:40:25 PM
In science, what you call something is less important than the way it behaves.

Just like stompboxes.   :)
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Hemmel

My father passed away in 2010 and last weekend while cleaning up his workbench I found 1m50 of Kester ;-)
Only thing is, I'm wondering if the flux is ok. It was still in the original unopened package but there was some kind of golden dust residue around the spindle...
Bââââ.

PRR

> wondering if the flux is ok

Yes.
  • SUPPORTER

petey twofinger

well i ended up paying 14.49 for a half pound at R.S. , i couldnt wait . i did see a pound of kester for 23 but i am not sure on the shipping . guessing it aint free .

if anyone does know of a great deal , i would definitely pick up a pound or so . i am thinking i must be wasting it somehow , i shouldn't have gone thru as much a s i did ?!
im learning , we'll thats what i keep telling myself