Tubescreamer, or not Tubescreamer... that is my question

Started by Jopn, June 26, 2013, 08:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kipper4

I can recommend the son of clay jones (son of screamer) it's a TS without the input /output buffers.

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/son-of-clay-jones-overdrive.html
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

pappasmurfsharem

"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Kipper4

Oops you did indeed sir .
I consider myself gazzumped.
Well done that man. It's a super effect.
Ma throats as dry as an overcooked kipper.

Smoke me a Kipper. I'll be back for breakfast.

Grey Paper.
http://www.aronnelson.com/DIYFiles/up/

gritz

Quote from: Kipper4 on June 27, 2013, 05:49:03 PM
I can recommend the son of clay jones (son of screamer) it's a TS without the input /output buffers.

http://revolutiondeux.blogspot.co.uk/2008/03/son-of-clay-jones-overdrive.html

What's a newbie going to learn from that?

Burr Brown 2134 opamp "essential"? Why?

Ditto clipping LEDs?

Emitter follower transistor buffers "dirty"? Really? Explain?

100k input impedance is always desirable in a pedal?

It might sound good, but is it a newbie friendly recommendation?

DougH

Build vs. Buy, Buy wins.

You can get a TS9 for $100. They are well made. Good or better quality as Boss, better than MXR (Dunlop). Unless you're going to stick it on a breadboard and play with mods, I'd buy it. I wouldn't build it stock.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

gritz

Quote from: DougH on June 27, 2013, 06:30:52 PM
Build vs. Buy, Buy wins.

You can get a TS9 for $100. They are well made. Good or better quality as Boss, better than MXR (Dunlop). Unless you're going to stick it on a breadboard and play with mods, I'd buy it. I wouldn't build it stock.

true, but what's the newbie pedal builder going to learn from that? A TSx can be breadboarded with a few dollars worth of parts - and those parts are common enough that they will be of use in other projects afterwards.

I suppose it all depends on whether a person wants to learn, or simply to copy parrot fashion and not understand why something sounds as it does (or whether it's worth paying $20 for an esoteric component for a particular task simply because some guy's blog instrcted them to...)

Jopn

Since there's some question to my "approach" as a noob, here's what I'm doing these days:

- Build some fantastic clones to practice my assembly and troubleshooting against verified designs.  This also gives me exposure to some pretty awesome ideas from both classic and new cutting edge designs.  As an added bonus, it fills out my pedalboard with some wicked sounds.

- Breadboard circuits that I feel could benefit further exploration.  I currently have a handful of breadboards on the go where I'm trying out new ideas by discovery.

- Read, read, read.  I keep up to date on threads on this and other forums, and other various sites during breaks at work. I also throw cached copies of geofex, beavis, tonefiend, etc, etc, onto my tablet for reading on my commute. 

So yes, I'm new to this hobby, but don't worry about me "not learning" from a suggestion.  It's safe to assume within a few minutes of reading the son of clay jones suggestion, I had the TI datasheet in front of me for the 2134 with pedal demos playing in the background :)

gritz

Quote from: Jopn on June 27, 2013, 08:03:46 PM
Since there's some question to my "approach" as a noob, here's what I'm doing these days:

- Build some fantastic clones to practice my assembly and troubleshooting against verified designs.  This also gives me exposure to some pretty awesome ideas from both classic and new cutting edge designs.  As an added bonus, it fills out my pedalboard with some wicked sounds.

- Breadboard circuits that I feel could benefit further exploration.  I currently have a handful of breadboards on the go where I'm trying out new ideas by discovery.

- Read, read, read.  I keep up to date on threads on this and other forums, and other various sites during breaks at work. I also throw cached copies of geofex, beavis, tonefiend, etc, etc, onto my tablet for reading on my commute. 

So yes, I'm new to this hobby, but don't worry about me "not learning" from a suggestion.  It's safe to assume within a few minutes of reading the son of clay jones suggestion, I had the TI datasheet in front of me for the 2134 with pedal demos playing in the background :)

It sounds like you have nothing to worry about then - apart from getting addicted to solder fumes and trying to find enough hours in the day!  :icon_mrgreen:

Nick C.

+1 Breadboard and mod!

Don't think of it as a TS. Great for learning how IC circuits work. Just changing caps and diodes will open your eyes to a world of possibilities. This is how I got hooked on this hobby. I wanted a replacement for my failing TS, sooo many mods later my favorite pedal now doesn't sound like a TS anymore.

roseblood11

Build vs. Buy, Buy wins.

http://uk-electronic.de/onlineshop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=28&language=en&osCsid=1ea3cfcb2937f3f0c0865caae0c1ee29

armdnrdy

Build vs. Buy, Buy wins.

You're getting this website confused with that other one.......www.buyyourownstompboxes.com   ;D
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)