Help Design a community pedal (Shimmer - Reverb.)

Started by Ark Angel HFB, June 29, 2013, 03:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armdnrdy

So what your saying is that you have your pedal designed to where you can "install" other programs in the FV-1 while soldered to the circuit board in the pedal?

Excuse me for on this subject I am completely ignorant but willing to learn.

from your last post I see that Ian isn't quite the slacker after all!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Ice-9

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2013, 05:03:18 PM
So what your saying is that you have your pedal designed to where you can "install" other programs in the FV-1 while soldered to the circuit board in the pedal?

Excuse me for on this subject I am completely ignorant but willing to learn.

from your last post I see that Ian isn't quite the slacker after all!

Yes that's correct. I just plug my pedal into the lead to my pc to reprogram the Eeprom to do whatever 8 effects I choose to use, it could have 8 different reverbs in then I could change it to do wah and distortion or chorus or any combination of choice. The Fv-1 is a wonderful IC.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

armdnrdy

Well....

What are you waiting for!
Finish it up and post a project!!

It sounds great really!! Very impressive!

We were all sitting around here trying to figure out how to slop a coat of audio paint on a rock to turn it into the all divine frequency emitting crystal!

I just googled FV-1 octave pedal. IT DOES UP AND DOWN OCTAVES AS WELL!

I'm sorry but analog octave pedals are weak! They are always glitchy!
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: Ice-9 on July 01, 2013, 05:09:25 PM

Yes that's correct. I just plug my pedal into the lead to my pc to reprogram the Eeprom to do whatever 8 effects I choose to use, it could have 8 different reverbs in then I could change it to do wah and distortion or chorus or any combination of choice. The Fv-1 is a wonderful IC.

Wait... <_<... >_>...  Are you saying that the same circuit works fine for a bunch of different circuits?

And how hard is it to plug in? like how much does it cost to make a pedal like this?
"..So I hooked up the power and it was the greatest Radio I'd ever heard. Too bad I was trying to make a Tremolo..."

Ice-9

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2013, 05:16:20 PM
Well....

What are you waiting for!
Finish it up and post a project!!

It sounds great really!! Very impressive!

We were all sitting around here trying to figure out how to slop a coat of audio paint on a rock to turn it into the all divine frequency emitting crystal!

I will collect all my schematics and pcbs together and post all the needed details in a day or two, will try and do a few different sound clips as well, I also want to post this stuff on other forums I use at the same time so that everyone has a good chance to play with it.

There is also a program being developed by Digital Larry called SpinCad which aims to generate code from drag and drop type blocks, check it out.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

armdnrdy

Looking forward to it!

I just downloaded the FV-1 data sheet and am giving it a once over.

It probably won't be too long before I'm writing code for this thing........Right around the time when humans are born with flippers and return to the sea!

Thanks Mick for bringing the FV-1 upfront again. Seriously, I had heard a few things that a FV-1 based pedal could do but wasn't that impressed.
Many analog pedals can do these things but....the FV-1 can definitely do a few things very well that an analog pedal fails at.

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2013, 05:38:00 PM
Looking forward to it!

I just downloaded the FV-1 data sheet and am giving it a once over.

It probably won't be too long before I'm writing code for this thing........Right around the time when humans are born with flippers and return to the sea!

Thanks Mick for bringing the FV-1 upfront again. Seriously, I had heard a few things that a FV-1 based pedal could do but wasn't that impressed.
Many analog pedals can do these things but....the FV-1 can definitely do a few things very well that an analog pedal fails at.

So far from what I can tell this Chip will bring the more sought after effect to us on a platter.

Tap tempo, multi-styled modulation, complex filters... this thing can do them all... and store information for multiple effect at the same time...

I guess the next thing to look into would be how to make the circuit and pedal as cheap as possible and then to make a Project-kit for everyone on here. When we get something easy down I'll update the OP with a B.o.M. and links to the other forum.
"..So I hooked up the power and it was the greatest Radio I'd ever heard. Too bad I was trying to make a Tremolo..."

Ice-9

Ok here is the schematic of the pedal in full.

a quick breakdown of the circuit is this,

input/ and output buffers are based around the dual op amp chip.
there are 3 other IC's in this, the first being the FV-1, thesecond IC is the programable Eeprom 24lc32a.
The 3rd IC is optional and can be replaced by a 3 bit binary switch. Either of these can be used to select the 8 patches or programs. The IC is an 8 pin PIC used to generate the 3 bit code needed to switch programs and is controlled by a normal potentiometer.

Schemtic

I will post more info when I manage to track all the files on my HD.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

armdnrdy

The "show original" photobucket link doesn't work. I can only download lo res unreadable copies.

I don't know if you fixed it but after three attempts and a cigarette break it worked!

armdnrdy

Question:

Who sells the FV-1 besides Small Bear?

I like to have more options when I'm purchasing components. It seems more often than not, when buying components, one supplier doesn't stock everything that I need.

deadastronaut

@mick:

f....g hell..that clip sounds great....8 effects in one box sounds awesome...good work man. :icon_cool:

i guess its the same as ians 'babelfish pedal'  which i'm surprised didn't win the 'turkey day comp'..

anyway..

how is it linked to the pc to change programmes?...usb socket?

very very interested in this, but have no programming experience whatsoever.... ::)

cheers man, my eyes and ears have been truly opened... :icon_cool:

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Ice-9

Quote from: deadastronaut on July 02, 2013, 04:49:07 AM
@mick:

f....g hell..that clip sounds great....8 effects in one box sounds awesome...good work man. :icon_cool:

i guess its the same as ians 'babelfish pedal'  which i'm surprised didn't win the 'turkey day comp'..

anyway..

how is it linked to the pc to change programmes?...usb socket?

very very interested in this, but have no programming experience whatsoever.... ::)

cheers man, my eyes and ears have been truly opened... :icon_cool:

@Deadastronaught, Yeah it's very similar to Ian's Babelfish and was designed around the same time under many different variations on this very forum. I have 2 versions to show one is in a 1590b  while the other fits a 1590bb which makes room for a second footswitch which can be used with the tap tempo code Ian made. As for similarities there isn't much to change around the FV-1 as all that is needed is input buffer/FV-1/output buffer so most FV-1 designs are very similar.

Linking to the PC can be done in different ways, obviously the Eeprom has to be programmed using some sort of programmer. I am using a USB Microchip Pickit2 and the software to flash. It only needs 3 connections to the pedal. The other way is via a com port if you still have a computer with one of those and a lead can be made up to connect directly to the onboard Eeprom using a couple of resistors and diodes. (it is worth the £20 for the pickit though as it makes life easy for programming many PIC chips and Eeproms in circuit).

Once I get all the relevant files together I will try and PDF a whole project to post, which I will post on all the relevant forums. Sorry but as most of the Dev has been done on circuitworkshop I will post there first but it should be posted everywhere the same day.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

deadastronaut

cool, nice one mick, that'll be brilliant. can't wait to get into those reverbs and delays, and pitch stuff...

very nice...look forward to the PDF, 

btw what is the max delay/reverb  time you can get out of it?.
https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Ice-9

At the recommended clock freq. 1 second is the max delay. I haven't tried this but I expect if both left and right chls of the FV-1 are hooked up in series then it should be easy to get 2 seconds of mono delay.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

DougH

Here's some big building blocks for doing shimmer. Might give you some ideas:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=41633&g2_serialNumber=1

You can also get a good shimmer with the "octo" setting of the Line 6 Verbzilla.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Keppy

Quote from: Ark Angel HFB on July 01, 2013, 03:08:01 AM
Quote from: Keppy on June 30, 2013, 11:42:02 PM

The 13600/13700-based schems I posted are not rectifiers, they are multipliers. I posted a link with several opamp-based rectifiers to choose from.

Thanks for the help... Sorry for the confusion.

So they will multiply will bring the pitch up 1 octave. Will the multiplier still leave the signal clean?

Sorry, I was away from my computer for a day. The multiplier is clean with a single-frequency (sine) input, assuming it's properly adjusted for input level. I've used a similar design as a ring modulator, and it was pretty clean with complex input, but that was with an oscillator controlling the modulation, not a guitar signal. Not sure what results we'd get here. Definitely one to breadboard before committing to a build.

Also, sorry I didn't indicate the power supply connections on the ICs. :icon_redface: I was doing a quick job, and I didn't expect anyone to make a vero before breadboarding it.

Quote from: samhay on June 30, 2013, 03:33:24 PM
I have tried using both OTAs and muiltiplier ICs (AD632) to do octave up. They work, but you still have horrible intermodulation distortion, so when playing multiple notes at once you gets a real mess.

Thanks for the info. This would be another reason to breadboard first. The tinkerer in me still has hopes for the design, though. Guess I'll have to learn the hard way. :D
"Electrons go where I tell them to go." - wavley

Ark Angel HFB

Quote from: Keppy on July 02, 2013, 08:00:32 PM

Sorry, I was away from my computer for a day. The multiplier is clean with a single-frequency (sine) input, assuming it's properly adjusted for input level. I've used a similar design as a ring modulator, and it was pretty clean with complex input, but that was with an oscillator controlling the modulation, not a guitar signal. Not sure what results we'd get here. Definitely one to breadboard before committing to a build.

Also, sorry I didn't indicate the power supply connections on the ICs. :icon_redface: I was doing a quick job, and I didn't expect anyone to make a vero before breadboarding it.

Not a big deal... I don't own a bread board. (I know I know stop throwing fruit, I need to buy one...)

I'm lack experience with pretty much all IC's so Just like not having the footswitch in a circuit... not including the powering of the IC was probably reasonable to assume whoever made the Vero would know to power it. So really just my bad.

I've fixed the vero... err... again. Here is the correct one. Both ICs Grounded and Powered... 

Ark Angel HFB

Regarding the FV-1, which I think is now potentially my favorite thing ever...

Would This, http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Microchip-Technology/24LC32A-I-P/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMuVhdAcoizlRWkyOXLsk1dxCWB753xiYh8%3d work as the 24lc32a? It is through hole so could be socket'd and that might make programming easier maybe?

slacker

Yeah that will work fine. They can be easily programmed using your PC's serial port and some free software. I'll post a link on how to do it later. If you don't have a serial port you can use a USB to serial cable, these only cost a couple of $.

armdnrdy

Quote from: slacker on July 10, 2013, 12:04:05 PM
I'll post a link on how to do it later.

Please do!

I recently signed up to the Spin Semiconductor forum and have read some of your posts. Very impressive stuff!
I have a great interest in utilizing the FV-1 for certain builds but have no idea where to start.

Any help would definitely be appreciated!