Did I get shipped asbestos?

Started by Thecomedian, June 30, 2013, 03:04:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thecomedian

I got some tubes from eastern europe, and for some reason, they came in a box along with something that at first looked like a blanket.

When I handed it, it was soft but also felt a bit like Fiberglass insulation

http://www.structuretech1.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Fiberglass-insulation.jpg

they looked like solid "pads" of torn off material, and tearing them was like ripping cotton candy apart. Im just hoping it's not asbestos or laden with asbestos.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

~arph

Thecomedian

I was afraid I'd have to dig it out of the trash.

I'll see what I can do.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Thecomedian

http://tinypic.com/r/9u3y1s/5

Its a bit big for a link and it has a smaller size when looking through tinypic so it's easier to "read".

armdnrdy

I have a simple test that I usually perform to tell the difference between fiberglass and asbestos.

First, I procure a small piece of each, no larger than a quarter dollar or a 10 Pence. Make sure to keep them separate.

Next, with a sharp razor blade chop each piece into a fine powder. (should be the consistency of flour)

Now this is the important part: grasp a straw lightly between your thumb and pointer finger (index finger to some) and bring the straw to you nose as you lower your head to where you prepared the samples to be tested.

The next step requires two motions in rapid succession.
Breath in through your right nostril sample number one.  
Repeat the last step with the straw held to your left nostril for sample number two.

Now observe any outside stimuli. Take notes on your observations.

The asbestos should leave your mucus membrane feeling a bit numb and stingy while the fiberglass is an entirely different sensation.

The fiberglass will cause intense pain and a burning sensation not unlike eating slivers of glass heavily coated with chili powder.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  :D

I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Thecomedian

sounds delicious. maybe I can mix it with some cocaine too, and   at the same time I drain a bottle of vodka through my eye.

Buzz

I don't think it's asbestos. Looks like that fibreglass insulation (being yellow and all)

Only mesothelioma will let you know for sure......
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

Gurner

I ordered some valves from Eastern Europe a couple of months ago ...they came wrapped in a similar packaging.

I shouldn't worry about that asbestos looking stuff, my hands are just fine....

that said, my wife isn't that convinced, ever since I opened the package in our kitchen she now wears this outfit to do the washing up...

(whenever I hear on the news that a suspicious package has been received at the White House etc, I always have a little knowing nod that it's simply Obama ordering EL84s from the Azerbaijan.)

digi2t

Don't take any chances. Dispose of it promptly, and most importantly, protect yourself at all cost.
  • SUPPORTER
Dead End FX
http://www.deadendfx.com/

Asian Icemen rise again...
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=903467

"My ears don't distinguish good from great.  It's a blessing, really." EBK

John Lyons

Pretty sure that's the wool like stuff. A lot of russian transistors come with that as packing material.
I don't think it's asbestos.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

kingswayguitar

would there be a safe way to do a flammability test? or a rockabilly test?

armdnrdy

Quote from: kingswayguitar on June 30, 2013, 12:33:26 PM
would there be a safe way to do a flammability test? or a rockabilly test?

Okay....I'll bite. What is a rockabilly test?
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

mth5044

Quote from: armdnrdy on June 30, 2013, 05:09:57 AM
I have a simple test that I usually perform to tell the difference between fiberglass and asbestos.

First, I procure a small piece of each, no larger than a quarter dollar or a 10 Pence. Make sure to keep them separate.

Next, with a sharp razor blade chop each piece into a fine powder. (should be the consistency of flour)

Now this is the important part: grasp a straw lightly between your thumb and pointer finger (index finger to some) and bring the straw to you nose as you lower your head to where you prepared the samples to be tested.

The next step requires two motions in rapid succession.
Breath in through your right nostril sample number one.  
Repeat the last step with the straw held to your left nostril for sample number two.

Now observe any outside stimuli. Take notes on your observations.

The asbestos should leave your mucus membrane feeling a bit numb and stingy while the fiberglass is an entirely different sensation.

The fiberglass will cause intense pain and a burning sensation not unlike eating slivers of glass heavily coated with chili powder.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  :D

:icon_lol: You really had me until the straw.

mistahead

I'm trained to work around (though not handle and remove) that nasty crap... and its generally best when in doubt to just cover your arse and treat it like it is hazardous

Crumbling tiles, cement conduits and packing materials were common, now aren't so much - but in NOS all bets are off.

Just repack in anti-static polymer, put the packing into the original envelope, seal the hell out of it in THICK BLACK plastic and next time you are putting in a post/pillar drop it in the hole before you cement. If/When it gets dug up the package will alert the future muppet.

It takes a lot of exposure to hit a worry point though guys - not just being upwind from one broken slab once as many "special" Aussies thought a few weeks back with our NBN contractors, though the contractors I was concerned for...

Thecomedian

pretty much. I mean getting any shipment that has cheap insulation material as part of the package from eastern europe is pretty dicey..