Tube screamer pop

Started by Lbzg, June 30, 2013, 12:24:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lbzg

Hi,

My tube screamer is popping when engaged...I have put 1x200k 2x100k resistors in series between output tip and output ground and it still pops....

I have build ts9 from tonepad...

Led is not an issue (tested by disconnecting)...

Does someone have any mod or help that can be done...

Please just explain all do not guess please send only solutions...if more info is needed just ask

and I use PS and by alone between amp and guitar. :-)

Please help.

GibsonGM

Read the thread "Debugging:  What to do when it doesn't work", and post the required info. Then we can help you!

Also - "pop"....does it pop when you're not touching it???  Or just when you switch it on and off?  We need that kind of information - the more the better.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Lbzg

Quote from: GibsonGM on June 30, 2013, 06:39:41 PM
Read the thread "Debugging:  What to do when it doesn't work", and post the required info. Then we can help you!

Also - "pop"....does it pop when you're not touching it???  Or just when you switch it on and off?  We need that kind of information - the more the better.

Just when I switch on and off. All other is fine around pedal, I just need some info or guide what to do with it in this situation that means that I need a advice from someone that have build this pedal on this board and resolve this issue on that board. :-)

armdnrdy

Quote from: Lbzg on June 30, 2013, 12:24:04 PM

My tube screamer is popping when engaged...I have put 1x200k 2x100k resistors in series between output tip and output ground and it still pops....

Please just explain all do not guess

Well I'm "guessing" that if you use a 1M resistor from the effect input to ground and the effect output to ground you will solve this issue.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Lbzg

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 01, 2013, 01:55:50 PM
Quote from: Lbzg on June 30, 2013, 12:24:04 PM

Please just explain all do not guess

Well I'm "guessing" that if you use a 1M resistor from the effect input to ground and the effect output to ground you will solve this issue.

By effects input and output you are saying input tip and output tip on jacks or input and output on pcb?

Lurco

aron

> Please just explain all do not guess

OK, contact Tonepad. They have built this and that's no guess.
Otherwise, I have no idea why you have resistors in series.

The DIY FAQ has a section on POPs but although it is factual, it is mostly guessing so maybe ignore that and contact tonepad.

Lbzg

Quote from: aron on July 02, 2013, 02:29:53 AM
> Please just explain all do not guess

OK, contact Tonepad. They have built this and that's no guess.
Otherwise, I have no idea why you have resistors in series.

The DIY FAQ has a section on POPs but although it is factual, it is mostly guessing so maybe ignore that and contact tonepad.

Tried once and no answer what so ever...is that site out of update or what? last update was years ago...is it even active?

armdnrdy

Did you try the 1M resistors to ground as I suggested?

This is the "standard" fix.
I just designed a new fuzz circuit! It almost sounds a little different than the last fifty fuzz circuits I designed! ;)

Lbzg

Quote from: armdnrdy on July 03, 2013, 02:06:06 PM
Did you try the 1M resistors to ground as I suggested?

This is the "standard" fix.

Yes. With 1M from input to ground - same as before although clean was lower in volume.

I also tried and 3.3M but it is same...

I have noticed that effect pops only when I engage it not when I disengage it...does that help?

I have noticed that Franceso Pena is member here...can someone send him this post...I really don't know what to do...he suggested 2.2M on his board but even 3.3M has pop so...

mistahead

Can you post a photo of the switching circuit please? I suspect it will reveal a few options...

Lbzg

Lurco

so is this guessing about a Tonepad TS9 which I cannot find a schematic of, or is it about a dual-switching multi-effect in one box?
Anyway, antipopresistors generally should be mounted directliy at the circuit (PCB), but not on "the outside" of the footswitches that go to the connector-jacks ("tips"). Only on the circuitside they will bleed down any capacitor which otherwise would possibly be freefloating, if not having been taken care of beforehand by the engineer.