STRIKER VALVE DRIVER SCHEMATIC

Started by Striker Amplification, July 08, 2013, 02:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker Amplification

Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

R.G.

Ryan, what is the inductance value of the "500MHz induction coil"?

How did you choose half watt carbon composition? Would 1/4W work as well?

What change in the sound would happen if these were carbon film, or even metal film?

What type of diodes did you use?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

davent

Hello Ryan, How/what are the heaters being supplied?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg

Jdansti

Sorry for the redundant questions. I can't type fast enough for you guys!   ;D

Thanks for posting this. I have a few questions:

1) Are you using silicon diodes?  (Just saw R.G. ask too).
2) I'm curious if you've tried this with 12V to get the heaters to full power.
3) Do you have any sound clips/video that you could share?

Thanks again!   :)
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Striker Amplification

Hello R.G.                                                                                                                                                                                        well, the induction coils wrapping value will not matter if you use say a vox wah inductor, crybaby will work too.  1/4 watt will work yes. I use 1/2 watt on all of my amplifiers to keep resistance level, they have pretty mutch been used for everything i have done. Yes 1/4 watt will work. As for tonal change, slightly brighter with carbon film, have not tried metal film. :icon_idea:  ;)
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Striker Amplification

AH! sorry R.G.! yes silicon diodes-1N914  ;)

Striker Amplification

you can use 12V, i used 9V due to the fact that these are finished with N.O.S 12AU7 (sensitive heaters). Pinss 4,5 are joined as 1 heater lead and pin 9 is a center tap. ;)

Striker Amplification

Hello Jdansti. I sadly......do not have any video/sound clips, but i can give you guys some soon! :icon_biggrin:

Bill Mountain

Looks like a fun project.  I've never been able to get enough gain out of a tube at 9 volts to satisfactorily clip Si diodes.  Is the gain pot shown correctly on the schematic?

Striker Amplification

Hello Bill mountain. That's what my original issue was with half of the tube pedals ive played :icon_mad:. MORE GAIN!.The 18meg control grid resistor is for. The final gain stage has a very sensitive control grid and even a 1meg resistor will redirect too mutch grid leak.

Striker Amplification

Type o above! i meant to say thats WHAT the 18meg resistor is for. :icon_rolleyes:

rousejeremy

You should also be posting on the "other" forum. I bet they'd love this stuff.
Consistency is a worthy adversary

www.jeremyrouse.weebly.com

Striker Amplification

Jdansti

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 08, 2013, 03:19:54 PM
you can use 12V, i used 9V due to the fact that these are finished with N.O.S 12AU7 (sensitive heaters). Pinss 4,5 are joined as 1 heater lead and pin 9 is a center tap. ;)

Are you saying that the NOS tube heaters are more fragile due to their age and that you use 9V to prevent burning them out?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Striker Amplification

No, alot of NOS tubes were just made with thinner filament in general,so they take to lower voltage easily. :icon_mrgreen:

Striker Amplification

In fact, i dont think the filament in general was thinner, i think production itself has changed.  :icon_neutral:

mistahead

The batch you have might appear to have "thinner filament", or a lighter material in the filament, or a material which has/is degrading...  do you want me to keep throwing out suggestions or is it just "Mojo Mystery" time?

Basically you are developing an application around some out of spec tubes you've managed to acquire... and I thought trimmers on FETs did this whole " it is bad engineering circuit to part" thing to death.

I'm really having issues seeing the value of this against meerly colouring a SS high gain signal against a starved plate tube, you won't have the volts to get real nu-gain out of the tube - at least not when looked at side by side with an SS gain stage using the same juice.

So, at the risk of being a "troll", you've got NOS parts that you're customising a circuit for, a circuit base which has been well explored so there's not much "discovery" left, but have a nice little approach there mate, and were talking smack like you were able to auto-bias-FETs-in-a-Fetzer (the locals know), I'm clearly missing something amazing but communication is a two-way street.

Was this a professional venture STRIKER AMPLIFICATION - because there's a lot of folks who just the other day were moaning about this forum supporting other people's business models... you kind of walked into that mine-field, couldn't have known.

Striker Amplification

Everybody ignore "Mistahead" i used JJ NEW PRODUCTION to test the final product as well. only a MORON would build a pedal around an exspired tube. You dont think "oh how are my customers going to retube this pedal" ran through my mind once? good point "mistahead", movealong>.

mistahead

Hey you clarified that it "works" with tubes that meet expected specs in the community, there's a goal kicked.

Didn't you say "i used 9V due to the fact that these are finished with N.O.S 12AU7 (sensitive heaters [MistaEdit: PURE NOS MOJO WITH UNOBTAINIUM FILAMENTS]). " - 3V difference to suit part is worth getting a clarification son.

So how do the new JJ's go compared to the NOS on the fillament mojo magic?

I see you didn't answer how much you were expecting us to make you in prototyping for STROKER AMPLIFICATION or address/sell the question of value in your toy over someone elses...

Striker Amplification

Ok chap, ive kept the filament at 9 volts yes due to my tubes BUT the jj's do work on 9v, the warm up time is just slightly longer. stroker amplification really? what are you doing? other than pointing out stupid accidental flaws. I have had no issues but YOU today, leave me and my VERY REAL BUSINESS ALONE, we good ol' chap? NOW YOU CAN MOVE ALONG>.