STRIKER SMOOTH MOD

Started by Striker Amplification, July 08, 2013, 05:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker Amplification

Here is one that has never been done, this particular "mod" is part of my amplifier production. This is a great mod you can do to your amplifier, it creates a very solid sound and throw's out the "shrill" to a point where power chords........crack ribs!! :icon_twisted:
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Striker Amplification

Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

R.G.

Quick question: how does the sound change if you connect the two caps to ground instead of B+?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Joe

Looks like a good idea, especially for EL84 amps that can have some pretty painful treble sometimes.
:icon_mrgreen:

Striker Amplification

Hello R.G. The tone is only slighy brighter when grounded, other than that no other issues. :icon_mrgreen:

Striker Amplification

Hey Joe, yes that is true. hopefully this will help you out!  ;)

electrosonic

It reminds me of the Vox treble cut control, except in that case the cap is across the out-of-phase drive signals going to the power tubes.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

SISKO

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 08, 2013, 11:29:38 PM
Hello R.G. The tone is only slighy brighter when grounded, other than that no other issues. :icon_mrgreen:

I once did this with a 800v plate voltage El34. Be carefull with the capacitor voltage or you may not get any sound at all :O.. Too risky to play in there
--Is there any body out there??--

Striker Amplification

As long as your not using an ELECTROLYTIC capacitor your going to be fine  ;)

Johan

Fender pro.jr does the same....might have had a small r too...i dont remember
J
DON'T PANIC

earthtonesaudio

You could alternatively use a cap from Plate 1 to Plate 2, half the value, double the voltage rating. :)

R.G.

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 08, 2013, 11:29:38 PM
Hello R.G. The tone is only slighy brighter when grounded, other than that no other issues.
As noted, this requires caps with higher voltage ratings though. Presumably the extra brightness could be dealt with by increasing the cap size a bit.

So if putting the cap to ground from the plate works, it seems like this is a simple treble cut. So could you get the same effect by cutting treble *before* the plate? Perhaps by a cap from grid to ground? That would need an even lower voltage cap, and if done on the one input, only one cap would be needed.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Striker Amplification

No you cannot get the same results from the control grids instead of the plate(s).You have to try this first, otherwise, you could not compare the two. Your expecting less when you will get more ;D

Striker Amplification

In fact the two cannot even be compared to side by side, you need rto try it, i promise guys its something different :icon_mrgreen:

PRR

> You have to try this

Why?

> So could you get the same effect by cutting treble *before* the plate?

No. This is an old-old-old technique. Speakers go inductive above 1KHz. When we used triode power tubes (back in the 1930s) it didn't matter much. When we switched to pentode power, the high plate impedance into inductive load causes a rise in treble response. On 78s or AM radio, this could be horrid. It became common to shunt pentode OTs with R-C networks.

At one extreme, pure C, the response peaks a little and then turns into an L-C low-pass, 12dB/8ve response, which is useful on hissy/scratchy sources. With some R in the loop (try R ~~= nominal load impedance) it tends to a damped response with 6dB/8ve initial fall-off.

As this directly interacts with the loudspeaker self-inductance in holistic ways, there is not a simple low-level replacement.

At extreme drive conditions ("normal" loud guitar playing) the treble self-inductance changes over the audio wave. This adds various types of harmonic, intermodulation, and FM distortions, which may or may not be euphonic in this application. In musician terms, it adds "scream", which may be useful.

Problem with using a pot to user-adjust response is that worst-case the pot must dissipate the full output of the amplifier. Typical-case, 1/10th of output. 1W radios could get away with 1/4W pots, although they (AND the cap) did tend to fail after hard playing. The same trick in an 18W geetar amp could possibly need a 30-Watt pot. Which is not a common or cheap part.

And if there's truly a blindfold A/B difference using two caps instead of one, now we into a _dual_ 15W ganged pot.

Oh, if the amp has NFB from output plate or from speaker, the need-for and effect-of this cap becomes much less, negligible; and of course at high NFB such a trick will surely cause loop oscillation.
  • SUPPORTER

duck_arse

QuoteThis adds various types of harmonic, intermodulation, and FM distortions, which may or may not be euphonic in this application

for about 3 weeks in high school, I "played" a euphonium in the school brass band. euphonic, it was not. it may have been because it only had 3 keys.
You hold the small basket while I strain the gnat.

Striker Amplification

Your going to have alot more issues trying to understand it, just listen to it.......try it, it does not create a screaming effect, in a quick response it takes a thin treble dominated amplifier signal and converts this output signal into a very solid creamy saturated signal, instead of being harsh and full of treble.

DougH

Conjunctive filter. Old news. Zoebel network has similar effect. Google.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Striker Amplification

Ok once more, IN A GUITAR AMP. thats the point. :icon_lol:

DougH

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 10, 2013, 09:20:59 PM
Ok once more, IN A GUITAR AMP. thats the point. :icon_lol:

Yup. In a guitar amp. Old news.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."