STRIKER SMOOTH MOD

Started by Striker Amplification, July 08, 2013, 05:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR

> for about 3 weeks in high school, I "played" a euphonium in the school brass band. euphonic, it was not. it may have been because it only had 3 keys.

No. 3 keys allows 8 different pipe-lengths, each pipe-length has an overtone series. Contrary to popular opinion, a euphonium can play music.

However I have heard 3rd-week students. In this case, Ryan has a point. Add a capacitor. 470uFd 250V should hammer right down inside the bell TIGHT and seal-in the noises.
  • SUPPORTER

Striker Amplification

Ok ,so then you know why it sounds so good. ;D
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

DougH

I used conj filters in my amps 13 yrs ago but found them too touchy to set up. I found it more effective to carefully tune the preamp and match the speaker to the amp.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

earthtonesaudio

Quote from: PRR on July 11, 2013, 12:55:09 AM
However I have heard 3rd-week students. In this case, Ryan has a point. Add a capacitor. 470uFd 250V should hammer right down inside the bell TIGHT and seal-in the noises.

Right now I'm really wishing this forum had a +1/like/upvote button.  :D

wavley

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on July 11, 2013, 09:55:17 AM
Quote from: PRR on July 11, 2013, 12:55:09 AM

Right now I'm really wishing this forum had a +1/like/upvote button.  :D

As a euphonium player, I'm taking a lot of offense to this discussion.

Ok, maybe I'm not.  I don't practice very much, you guys might be right.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

duck_arse

does your instrument have 4 keys wavley, or the 470uF cap mod?
don't make me draw another line.

wavley

Quote from: duck_arse on July 12, 2013, 08:12:02 AM
does your instrument have 4 keys wavley, or the 470uF cap mod?

I can play in all the keys ;)  Actually, no I have a three key one.

Don't tell my wife about the 470uF cap mod, it might be the first mod that she didn't roll her eyes about.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

puretube

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 08, 2013, 05:30:53 PM
Here is one that has never been done, this particular "mod" is part of my amplifier production. This is a great mod you can do to your amplifier, it creates a very solid sound and throw's out the "shrill" to a point where power chords........crack ribs!! :icon_twisted:

Epiphone Model EA-50 *
Epiphone Model EA-8P **

*The TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition (1993) by Aspen Pittman, page 353
**The TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition (1993) by Aspen Pittman, page 355

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 08, 2013, 05:42:10 PM
CORRECTION! :icon_eek:

With added series resistors:

18W "Kappler" Amp***

***The TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition (1993) by Aspen Pittman, page 755

Caps to ground:

122 Type Leslie****

****The TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition (1993) by Aspen Pittman, page 552
+ almost all Music Man amps pp.678-690 (caps rated 3kV !!!)

then some Kay amps, with caps from plate-to-cathode

Striker Amplification

Yes but that capacitor value is too big, i doubt there is really any noticeable effect what so ever, the smaller the cap you use, the more crossover is delivered.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Jdansti

Just for reference, here are some of the schematics that puretube mentioned.  These were acquired from the manufacturers and service/repair sites:

EA-8P

EA-50P

122 Leslie

Edit: corrected titles
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

R.G.

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 13, 2013, 12:40:13 AM
Yes but that capacitor value is too big, i doubt there is really any noticeable effect what so ever, the smaller the cap you use, the more crossover is delivered.
So, if I understand you, 0.001 is better than 0.01?

And 100pF is better than 0.001? and 10pF  better than 100pF? and 1pF  better than 10pF?

And 100 femto-farads better than 1pF? And...

There's no limit to the goodness, then?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Striker Amplification

.1mfd-.47mfd are good starting points, there really is no effect with a capacitor as big as .002, thats HUGE, the smaller the better. Its seems they were trying to control frequency at higher volumes, thats really the only time you could hear even the slightest bit in tonal difference.

Jdansti

I'm a little confused about our capacitance units.

>.1mfd-.47mfd are good starting points, there really is no effect with a capacitor as big as .002, thats HUGE

0.1mfd = 0.1 microfarad = 0.1 x 10-6 Farad = 0.1 uF = 0.1 μF

What are the units for 0.002? When I see 0.002 on a schematic, I assume that it means 0.002 μF (2 nF, or 2,000 pF). If that's the case, then 0.002 would be smaller than 0.1 mfd and 0.47 mfd. Am I missing something?
  • SUPPORTER

Jdansti

Quote from: puretube on July 14, 2013, 10:06:55 AM
Quote from: puretube on July 12, 2013, 07:55:26 PM
Epiphone Model EA-50 *
*The TUBE AMP BOOK, 4th edition (1993) by Aspen Pittman, page 353

Interesting that the Tube Amp Book shows a different schematic than the one on the Gibson website: http://www.gibson.com/service/tech/schematics/  >>> epiphone EA-50P Pacemaker

Edit: Removed double text.
  • SUPPORTER

puretube

artifus

there he is! quick! grab him!

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

Jdansti

The area of amp output is new to me. Ryan's example has the power in series with the caps, whereas the examples mentioned by others have the power in parallel with the caps, or no power (EA-50T).  Does series/parallel matter? 

There's also the debate about which caps are "best". It seems to my uneducated brain cell that there are enough differences between the amps that you'd have to treat each as a separate case.

I tried to show the following examples in a similar format for comparison purposes. Hopefully I don't have any errors, but I'm sure someone will point them out if I do. ;)

• SUPPORTER

Striker Amplification

well the best crossover when dealing with voltage is going to be the crossover without any resistance in series with the caps, with a resistor the the frequency production is droped to a nearly flat sighnwave, with a capacitor the sighnwave is sort of curved in a very oblong way, the smooth mod really interacts with your playing as well, say you pick softly, the softer the clipping becomes for the caps, but say you pick harder, the clipping increases building structure around your tone so it does not feel so thin and tinny, wich is great for amplifiers with alot of presence. Someone really needs to try this befor iam forced to upload a live video of MASS DESTRUCTION!!! :icon_twisted: