Started by aron, July 09, 2013, 02:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

I only see 3 mentions to sugru. This seems like something I really need:

https://sugru.com/about

Mike Burgundy

Okay, that's cool!

aron

From what I am reading this thing sticks to anything (well almost). I think we have solved our board mounting!

R.G.

OK, where has this been all my life?

I already use polymer clay, which is better for non-flexible applications, as it sets up into a hard plastic-like material that can be drilled/tapped/carved, etc.

But flexy stuff - that's GREAT!
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Bill Mountain

This is awesome.  I couldn't care less about pedal use.  I need to fix my key fob!

wavley

Quote from: R.G. on July 09, 2013, 04:24:49 PM
OK, where has this been all my life?

I already use polymer clay, which is better for non-flexible applications, as it sets up into a hard plastic-like material that can be drilled/tapped/carved, etc.

But flexy stuff - that's GREAT!

I used polymer clay stuck to a box to do this brassmaster for a friend

New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

R.G.

The neat thing about polymer clays is that you can roll them out through something like a pasta machine and have even-thickness sheets to make enclosures, face panels, etc.   You can make knobs, any size or shape. You can sculpt things like light shields from it, and imbed wires to solder them to PCBs. I used it to make a sun shield for a display screen in a car.

Polymer clay *and* sugru...  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

toneman

interesting stuff!

always like to read about new things!

thanks!
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

aron

Where do you buy the polymer clay? - Actually what brand works well?

R.G.

Arts and crafts stores stock "Fimo" and "Sculpy". There are other brands as well. I found a site that had reviews of the cured properties, strengths, and such. Can't remember it now, but I'm sure the NSA will think the sudden rush to look up polymer clays is ominous.
R.G.

mistahead

Also folks - check out what the wargames guys are doing with resin moulds, soon to be obsoleted by 3D printing but not until costs match.

Custom Mojo knobs produced like fishing sinkers - just take the 3d printed prototype, mould it up a couple of times and pour until profits.

wavley

Quote from: R.G. on July 09, 2013, 07:17:56 PM
Arts and crafts stores stock "Fimo" and "Sculpy". There are other brands as well. I found a site that had reviews of the cured properties, strengths, and such. Can't remember it now, but I'm sure the NSA will think the sudden rush to look up polymer clays is ominous.

I think my wife used Skulpy to do my box, with a pasta maker.  Both of which you can buy at Michael's if you have one.
New and exciting innovations in current technology!

Bone is in the fingers.

EccoHollow Art & Sound

eccohollow.bandcamp.com

Electron Tornado

Quote from: R.G. on July 09, 2013, 05:53:45 PM
The neat thing about polymer clays is that you can roll them out through something like a pasta machine and have even-thickness sheets to make enclosures, face panels, etc.   You can make knobs, any size or shape. You can sculpt things like light shields from it, and imbed wires to solder them to PCBs. I used it to make a sun shield for a display screen in a car.

Polymer clay *and* sugru...  :icon_biggrin:

Just need a Play-Doh fun factory and start cranking out custom knobs.

"You can make it with Play-Doh!" 
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

electrosonic

Here's a relevant link from lifehacker.com  http://lifehacker.com/replace-worn-off-appliance-lettering-with-sugru-558011257

They use Sugru to redo the labelling on a metal stovetop. The lettering is etched but the paint has worn off.

Maybe try the same with pedals, etch the faceplate and then fill the etch with Sugru.

I bought some Sugru but haven't got around to trying this yet.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

I mentioned to myolder son about this, intrigued him, and when he started looking for where it might be purchased locally, he stumbled onto this: http://eventful.com/ottawa/events/build-night-sugru-/E0-001-058360287-8  I may just join him there.

I can see where this would be terrific stuff for making strain relief on patch cables.  Then there are pot handles and tool handles and mobile device shells and replacement feet for wahs and pads for e-drums and homebrew vactrols and custom LED bazels (e.g., an "eye" that points back as you) and ......

electrosonic

Mail ordering directly from Sugru.com is reasonably inexpensive. The shipping charge was minimal and I received it in about a week.

Andrew.
  • SUPPORTER

Mark Hammer

Well, we're signed up for next Wednesday evening.  I hope to report back with some useful information.   :icon_smile:

Mark Hammer

Just came back from the Sugru "workshop".  There wasn't any instruction, as such.  It seems that Instructables contacted 100 known hackspaces, and offered them free materials to host an evening with.  There were 4 or 5 "teams", the Hammer family (plus a friend) being one of them.  The goal was to think up applications, take some pics, and report back.  Two of the folks in attendance work with motor-impaired seniors, developing assistive devices, and came to see if there was anything useful in their line of work.

The material is pretty easy to work with.  Does NOT smell nice up close, but I could not smell it from a distance.  I can see where conformal coating would be better for some applications, and where this would be better for others.

My first application was wrapping a bit around the "stem" of my preferredearbuds, near the plug, for strain relief and reinforcement.  Nothing particularly innovative there, since that very application was illustrated on the packaging of the material.  My 2nd application was expanding the diameter of the little control knobs on my Korg Monotron Delay.  My older son made a little squeeze-operated LED flashlight with an improvised membrane switch and a coin lithium battery.

We're still trying to figure out what sort of structural rigidity and tensile strength it has, and how much it can hold up and how tightly.  It also seems like the sort of stuff that could be very useful in "babyproofing" many things in the house...although you'd need to apply it well before itbecame necessary.  It's not the sort of stuff you want around toddlers in uncured form.  Given that it is good up to 180 degrees C, I was wondering about applying it to the business edge of a steel spatula, so that it could be used with a teflon skillet to avoid scratching.  I suspect it could also be useful for adding to the outside of control knobs, or replace lost Strat switch tips.  Heck, you could even stick little transistor-sized blobs on the ends of new guitar strings, next time you change them and cut the ends, so you don't go stabbing yourself..  Howzabout DIY battery holders?

Also this evening, I saw my first 3D printer in action.  Neat stuff.  One of the people printed off a gear they needed for something.  Took about 30 minutes.  Daddy want. :icon_mrgreen: