Striker overload overdrive schematic.

Started by Striker Amplification, July 10, 2013, 06:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker Amplification

Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

artifus

B Tremblay

Thanks for sharing. I just wanted to mention that for meaningful discussion of a circuit, it is best that an actual schematic is posted and not a layout.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

midwayfair

No feedback resistor on q2? Is this supposed to sound super gated? No gain control?
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

Thecomedian

also no volume pot between the output or the circuit and the jack. Does this actually sound good when built? It's a really odd design. Is there something you want us to discuss out it?
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Striker Amplification

Yes it sounds good, i dont need a feedback resistor on Q2 there is already a + voltage flow from Q1. And these schematics/layouts are posted for you to build. Add a volume if you would like or i can post a revised version if you would like me to?
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

B Tremblay

Here's why I suggested that a schematic be posted rather than a layout. While experience is not necessarily equivalent to wisdom, I can look at a schematic and often see similarities with other circuits, which provides a frame of reference for discussion of any differences.

Secondly, only you can provide your schematic, while many of the builders here are very talented at creating layouts and share them freely. A popular project may have multiple layouts available that correspond to builders' varied preferences (perf, vero, and PCB; a single quad vs. two dual op-amps; offboard or board-mounted pots).

Finally, I do not commit the parts to any new build before testing it with a breadboard, even if a schematic is accompanied by a layout and sound clips. I did that too much when I started out and learned a lesson from it.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

samhay

Quote from: B Tremblay on July 11, 2013, 06:02:51 AM
Here's why I suggested that a schematic be posted rather than a layout. While experience is not necessarily equivalent to wisdom, I can look at a schematic and often see similarities with other circuits, which provides a frame of reference for discussion of any differences.

Secondly, only you can provide your schematic, while many of the builders here are very talented at creating layouts and share them freely. A popular project may have multiple layouts available that correspond to builders' varied preferences (perf, vero, and PCB; a single quad vs. two dual op-amps; offboard or board-mounted pots).

Finally, I do not commit the parts to any new build before testing it with a breadboard, even if a schematic is accompanied by a layout and sound clips. I did that too much when I started out and learned a lesson from it.

+1

You have some interesting designs, and I too would love to see the schematics.
If you don't have the time or inclination to draw them with software, the circuits are simple enough that a photograph of a hand-drawn schematic would be more than sufficient. As an example, check out Jimi's approch e.g. here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=103396.0
I'm a refugee of the great dropbox purge of '17.
Project details (schematics, layouts, etc) are slowly being added here: http://samdump.wordpress.com

R O Tiree

This is exactly the same circuit as the so-called "Striker Plexi-Drive" in another thread, with minor value tweaks on 1 resistor and 2 caps.

No pull-down resistor at the input, no volume control, (so it's going to pop like a bastid when you engage or disengage it) no bias to Q2 except, as Johan said at Reply#22 in the other "Plexi-Drive" thread, he might be relying on leakage current, in which case this is going to be entirely dependent upon that unique transistor's behaviour (and temperature!) and it will be hard to get repeatable results - C1 strips DC out of the output from Q1C and that's that... 0V +/- the signal at Q2B.

And voltage doesn't flow... current does.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

earthtonesaudio

@Ryan, if you would structure your posts as follows then people can get straight to discussing the circuit instead of lots of "what is this?" types of posts.

[schematic first]

[your layout could go next]
[layout pic]

[short description and list any caveats which may cause noobs problems]
Note: Q2 bias relies on leakage current so Ge will work better than Si.  Swap in different transistors for Q2 until it sounds good.
D1 and D2 are small signal switching diodes such as 1n4148 or 1n34a (Si or Ge, your choice).
This is just the basic circuit, footswitch and anti-popping measures such as pull-down resistors omitted for clarity.

[any questions or discussion topics you would like to add could go here]

Jdansti

+1

@Ryan- thanks for following my suggestion on another thread about providing something for people to see at the beginning of your threads.  You've contributed a lot in a short period for a new forumite!  I agree with the others that schematics are easier to read and compare than layouts. I know that you're providing this information for people to build, but we also like to discuss the theory behind the circuits and to compare them to other effects. Don't stop providing layouts!  Those are great!  We are just trying to help you know how it's usually done here.  You might want to find a free schematic app if you don't already have one.

To summarize, your initial posts should be something like this:

1) Describe what the circuit does.
2) Describe how you came about the circuit and give credit if there is a circuit that you started with.  For example, "I took the xyz circuit by Joe Blow and modified it by adding..."  Or, "This is something that I came up with and..."
3) Provide a schematic.
4) Provide a layout if you have one.
5) Provide a sound clip or video if you have one.

The pinkjimiphoton threads are great examples as mentioned earlier.

Please keep contributing!!!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

earthtonesaudio

FYI the schematic I posted above is a screen capture of the circuit simulated in Paul Falstad's excellent free Java applet "Circuit Simulator" with the background set to white and voltage/current animations turned off.  I added the part values in-app but added the labels (C1, R1, etc.) in Paint.

There is also https://www.circuitlab.com/ - a little slower but perhaps more suited to sharing schematics.

DougH

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on July 11, 2013, 09:03:41 AM

Without DC on Q2 base, I'm not seeing how this works at all. Unless it's a super-leaky Q2 or C1.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Thecomedian

the first few MS of it starts off "working", because it's resistance is high due to being shut off. after a few milliseconds, it stops "working" and creates Class C pulses on the base of the transistor. This leads to a wave that has a curly negative voltage tail into a sawtooth wave with near vertical sides, and a straight "tooth".

I mean the Q2 base -> output.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

DougH

I'm going to have to try this on the breadboard.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Striker Amplification

pinkjimiphoton

i gotta say, this kid is a good kid.... i've gotten to be good friends with him since the "incidents".... and his projects all sound really good. i've breadboarded or built most of them,
and yeah, he was kinda abrasive sometimes, but i look back at these threads and all i can do is go wtf <smh>

you don't need an emitter resistor. grounded emitters work great in distortions. this is a simple design, and sounds really good. just cuz something is unconventional, no reason to pan it.

i hope the kinda back and forth trolling that happened with this guy never happens again. all i can say.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr