Striker plexi drive schematic

Started by Striker Amplification, July 10, 2013, 06:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker Amplification

The input cap is suposed to block almost all bass signal ,the bass signal is then reformed in the second driving stage in a much larger wave form, then brought back down to about 50% then clipped, this will give the drive a very sonic sound, the bass is produced WITH the guitar signal not MIXED within it.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

R O Tiree

...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Johan

Since he's using germanium transistors, the leakage could be enough to bias the second transistor into working, but every build will be different and highly dependent on the individual transistor used and it might be hard to get consistent final results. In an other thread someone suggested posting schematics instead of layouts. That would be much beter if you want more people discussing the details of your designs.
J
DON'T PANIC

pinkjimiphoton

so, just socket the damn transistors and swap 'em around til it sounds good.

this looks like it may be an interesting sound with the right transistors, but *ANY* ac176 sure ain't gonna work.

i don't see how you can "re-add" bass tho. once you take them frequencies away you can't get 'em back. just like an mp3. once it's gone, you can't replace it. just doesn't work like that.
you MAY get sub harmonics added in, but that's not the same as bass frequencies.

what kind of amp did you test this with?

it may sound GREAT thru a ruby or small amp, but how will it hold up at stage volume? i build all kindsa ridiculous shit just to try it, and it often sounds great at low volume...
but until i try it thru one of my live rigs at real volumes, i don't really know what it sounds like... small amps homogenize the shit out of tones. what may sound great at a high gain thru a low volume amp often don't fly so well in real life use.

believe me, i've built a LOT of stuff... most sounds great quiet. get on stage, and well, that's not necessarily the case.

can you post examples? video/audio?

and original design?

it's a mis-biased emitter follower to my eye, the fuzz face it's modeled on was the original.

what you seem to have done to my newb eyes is take a fuzzface, and misbiased it into a clean booster.

i like to run my collectors at higher voltages too, but this is only gonna work with some transistors....

can you post their gains and voltages? be curious to look at.

it's almost like ya wired the emitter follower like a cathode follower. cool.

but straight b+ to the collectors is gonna be a little weird.

btw...as for artifus?

dude, you are dead @#$%in' wrong.

like to say welcome to the forum... but YOU gotta understand, you're gonna get constructive criticisms, sometimes props, sometimes flops...

and getting pissy, even in jest, isn't gonna get ya a lot of friends here. this isn't harmony central with people trolling and shit. none of us will tolerate that crap.

we're all in this together.

enough of that shit...

welcome, dude and thanks for sharing!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Striker Amplification

i test all of my pedals on a...(get this) 300watt sony stereo reciever with a 1968 fender 2x 15 concert series cabinet.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Striker Amplification

iam sorry for anything i have done, it wont happen again.

pinkjimiphoton

dude, it's all good man.... like i said, welcome to the forum!!

a 300 watt power amp?
lol

;)

not the same as a guitar amp.... distortion on the order of about a million times less, even with a "clean" amp. very tonally different, but may explain why it sounds as you describe.

rock on dude!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Striker Amplification

well after i have them tested on the power amp, i use a 68 silverface bassman, if it passes the power amp test, it will most certainly pass the guitar amplifier test, the breakup compared to the guitar amp is at least 50% more than the power amp, that wonderfull extra preamplifier does it all for ya! ;)

Striker Amplification

And i did in fact mean BASS not BIAS. I cant see how that would make any sence in that post. If i were refering to bias i would have used the word BIAS. Thanks: Ryan. ;)

pinkjimiphoton

you'll be alright ryan, anybody that can goof on themselves can't be all bad. ;)

but...that said,.. WE NEED CLIPS!! VIDEO OR IT NEVER HAPPENED...   :icon_mrgreen: 
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Striker Amplification

R O Tiree

Quote from: STRIKER AMPLIFICATION on July 11, 2013, 05:22:32 PM
And i did in fact mean BASS not BIAS. I cant see how that would make any sence in that post. If i were refering to bias i would have used the word BIAS. Thanks: Ryan. ;)

Yes, but my post immediately before that was about bias, not bass. Forgive me for assuming that you were answering my question.

Thecomedian

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on July 11, 2013, 12:47:09 PM

i don't see how you can "re-add" bass tho. once you take them frequencies away you can't get 'em back. just like an mp3. once it's gone, you can't replace it. just doesn't work like that.

from my experience, unless it actually does "completely reject" all of a specific frequency, any passive or active tone controls do greatly reduce a frequency, but they're still there, albeit at far reduced amplitude. As long as there's even .0000001 volts of that frequency there, it's theoretically possible, if not practical, to gain that specific frequency back up to the same amplitude as the rest which weren't tone controlled out. I've played with the treble booster schem from Muzique, and Even though there is much reduced dB for bass frequencies, those frequencies are definitely still there, even though it's something like a 0.002 input cap.

I don't want to be pedantic, but does this thing actually completely erase all of that frequency? As far as MP3, if you use software to remove the frequency completely, you cant get it back, but if you're just adjusting equalizer levels, it's still there way down. Right?
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

Striker Amplification

You are 100% correct ,The comedian. ;)

R O Tiree

That's not jimi's point, comedian. His point is that, once you have digitised and compressed an analogue signal to turn in into a lossy mp3, you can never get a truly accurate analogue signal from it. Similarly, if you remove all bar a vanishingly small amount of any part of the frequency spectrum from a signal, you can never get it all back into balance without compromises. Like noise, for example. You alluded to that yourself, when you raised the question of its practicality.

@Ryan - Any insight into how Q2 is being biased? I realise that it's only the third or fourth time that I have mentioned it, but I'm not alone in wanting to know.

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Striker Amplification

Digital Larry

Quote from: R O Tiree on July 12, 2013, 06:22:58 AM
@Ryan - Any insight into how Q2 is being biased?

There is certainly precedent for a "no-DC-bias" circuit, witness the Maestro FZ-1.

http://fuzzcentral.ssguitar.com/schematics/fz1.gif

That one starts off with a no-bias emitter follower!  The transistor starts to conduct when the input voltage swings start to pull some current through the cap.  But I would expect this to have a gated fuzz sound rather than a smooth overdrive that plays nicely with volume knob tricks.
Digital Larry
Want to quickly design your own effects patches for the Spin FV-1 DSP chip?
https://github.com/HolyCityAudio/SpinCAD-Designer

artifus

hello.

my name is artifus and i am a human being.

thank you for your compassionate tolerance and understanding.

much love.

art,