Strat push/pull series or parallel mod question

Started by Rock_on, July 16, 2013, 03:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_on

Just a simple question

I have s-s-s strat

I will be doing the series/parallel mod by using a push/pull vol pot

My question is do i need a 500k or a 250k?

250k is for singles right? And 500k for humbuckers (i mean when the mod is activated).

So again, 250k or 500k pot? Im thinking of 500k then just add a resistor paralleled to the pot (when it is not activated) to make 250k but is that possible?

Striker Amplification

It actually depends on what your personal liking to tone is, the larger the pot the more twang, treble, and sustain you get, 500k is a good in between buffer, not too much not too little. 250k is sort of dull sounding, but if your not a fan of treble 250k is the way to go.......1MEG is the largest production volume pot you can get ,and they are 80% of the time made without a knurled shaft, so set screw covers would have to be used. as for tone pots, a little goes a long way, i use 25k for the very least amount of overtone and crossover (muddy). If you really want to open things up, disconnecting or replacing your tone capacitor is a great way to really get the full feel of your pickups. Cheers! Ryan. ;D
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

candidate

Quote from: Striker Amplification on July 16, 2013, 07:19:05 PM
If you really want to open things up, disconnecting . . . your tone capacitor is a great way to really get the full feel of your pickups.

Mark Hammer

The higher-value pot, when set to max vol, provides less loading of the pickup signal, such that more treble is able to safely traverse the cable to the next device in line.

Because single-coil pickups tend to start out with more treble, and PAF-style humbuckers start out with less, the tradition has been to use 250k for SC pickups,so as to shave off a bit of the upper treble, and to use higher values like 300k and 500k for HB types to try and keep more.

If you never used you volume control other than to turn off to confer with band-mates, that would be one thing.  But if you adjust your pickup volume when playing, the moment you turn down below max, any benefit of volume-pot value is pretty much lost.  Turn that 500k volume pot to 7 or so, and you will have placed about 250k in series with the pickup with the remaining 250k going to ground.  That is, you will have replicated the effect of using a 250k pot in addition to severely limiting the current your pickup can feed through the cable.

That is not to say everything we've heard about what value pot goes with what kind of pickup is hokum.  It's all true...BUT, requires some specific conditions to remain true.

Placing a pair of SC pickups in series will change the total inductance, and also their combined series resistance.  The sonic result will be a bit darker than having them in parallel.  But if you are one who tends not to play much with the volume control whie playing, then I'd suggest leaving it at 250k, so that you are "prepared" for the many other pickup combinations that won't be series.

Rock_on

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 17, 2013, 09:28:57 AM
The higher-value pot, when set to max vol, provides less loading of the pickup signal, such that more treble is able to safely traverse the cable to the next device in line.

Because single-coil pickups tend to start out with more treble, and PAF-style humbuckers start out with less, the tradition has been to use 250k for SC pickups,so as to shave off a bit of the upper treble, and to use higher values like 300k and 500k for HB types to try and keep more.

If you never used you volume control other than to turn off to confer with band-mates, that would be one thing.  But if you adjust your pickup volume when playing, the moment you turn down below max, any benefit of volume-pot value is pretty much lost.  Turn that 500k volume pot to 7 or so, and you will have placed about 250k in series with the pickup with the remaining 250k going to ground.  That is, you will have replicated the effect of using a 250k pot in addition to severely limiting the current your pickup can feed through the cable.

That is not to say everything we've heard about what value pot goes with what kind of pickup is hokum.  It's all true...BUT, requires some specific conditions to remain true.

Placing a pair of SC pickups in series will change the total inductance, and also their combined series resistance.  The sonic result will be a bit darker than having them in parallel.  But if you are one who tends not to play much with the volume control whie playing, then I'd suggest leaving it at 250k, so that you are "prepared" for the many other pickup combinations that won't be series.

Honestly i always put it in max.. I only turn it down to turn it off and sometimes to make it clean when im using amp distortion..

Just asking coz i dont want it to be dark/dull sounding when i activated the series mod..

The only thing that i kept thinking is, is this possible?

When mod is off (parallel when in position 2 & 4) my pot is 250k.. But when mod is on (series in 2 & 4) it would become 500k using only a dpdt switch. :)

Thanks fo the answers everybody :D

ashcat_lt

We just went through this with another dude over at the guitarnutz forum.  It can be done, but I don't think it's necessary.   The series setting is supposed to be louder and darker than parallel.  I've found that it helps to keep the extra distortion caused by pushing the amp harder from getting too fizzy and harsh.

I'm wondering what scheme you're looking at for this.  Which pickups are going to end up in series when you flip the switch?  As with everything in this forum, a schematic makes it a whole lot easier to give real advice.

Rock_on

Quote from: ashcat_lt on July 17, 2013, 11:20:24 AM
We just went through this with another dude over at the guitarnutz forum.  It can be done, but I don't think it's necessary.   The series setting is supposed to be louder and darker than parallel.  I've found that it helps to keep the extra distortion caused by pushing the amp harder from getting too fizzy and harsh.

I'm wondering what scheme you're looking at for this.  Which pickups are going to end up in series when you flip the switch?  As with everything in this forum, a schematic makes it a whole lot easier to give real advice.

No schematic, just an idea that came up to my mind..

Here's what i want to do..

Position 1,3,5 (bridge only, mid only, neck only)

Position 2,4 (bridge + mid and neck + mid)

There would be a switch that will either make the positions 2 and 4 parallel or series

Striker Amplification

Iam going to work this out, and draw it up into schematic form for you, Rock_on ;)
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Striker Amplification

ok ive got it 100% worked out, schematic is coming.

mistahead

Hey Ryan - while you're at it can you have a quick look at doing a rotary switch for a three humbucker Blackbeauty, basically allowing for all combination of coils to be dialled in...

I can see definate need from time to time to be able to use the entire {edit}mid{edit} humbucker, the neck's bottom coil but the bridges top coil... or vice versa on those... or just the top coil from the mid, full neck, and lower bridge coil...

Six coils...that can be used in any combination... is that would that be a =!6 options..?

:D

EDIT: Ooooh while we're at it how much flexibility can we get out of parallel / series switching the six coils from three humbuckers... now we're going ENTIRELY to the wall with balls.    :icon_twisted:

Striker Amplification

Striker Amplification

I do think this i what you were looking for. ;D

Striker Amplification

Iam also going to post the brian may pickup configuration, for singles and humB's!

Striker Amplification

ALOT OF FLEX!!!!!! X6 DPDT switches and x1- 6 way rotary switch!! :icon_twisted:

mistahead

Quote from: Striker Amplification on July 18, 2013, 02:42:24 AM
ALOT OF FLEX!!!!!! X6 DPDT switches and x1- 6 way rotary switch!! :icon_twisted:

Are you sure? Lol - I think we only hit half the options there... or am I just messing wit chu?   :icon_surprised:

Striker Amplification

really there are alot of combinations there, too many for one lifetime in one guitar, but iam still drawing the schematic LOL!

Rock_on

Quote from: Striker Amplification on July 18, 2013, 02:10:44 AM
I do think this i what you were looking for. ;D

Thanks! :D i really appreciated this one.

Hmm where should i put those 2 dpdt switches? I would use a separate switch now, im not using push/pull on this mod.

What if i put it in the back cover? I'll just make some holes in there haha.

Striker Amplification

Hey no problem!!!! ;D anywhere near the 5 way switch is great, but of course out of the way

mistahead

Get the switch type like you see on PC power supplies for 240v and whatever the other is - you can flick them with a pick but not by brushing them accidentally.

Striker Amplification