Strat push/pull series or parallel mod question

Started by Rock_on, July 16, 2013, 03:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Striker Amplification on July 18, 2013, 02:10:44 AM
I do think this i what you were looking for. ;D
This doesn't actually do exactly what the OP asked for - replacing the 2 and 4 positions with their series counterparts.

With neither switch flipped you get normal strat wiring.  With only  the neck switch flipped you get: neck*mid, neck*mid, dead, bridge, bridge.  With only the bridge switch flipped you get: neck, neck, dead, bridge*mid, bridge*mid.  With both flipped you get: neck*mid, neck*mid, dead, bridge*dead, bridge*dead.  I saw a scheme yesterday that got that last one using a single DPDT toggle.  It does give you the series options, but there's a lot of redundancy and those dead spots which are just waiting to get you in the heat of battle.  This might not be a problem for the OP, depending on the intended application.  You can't get any closer to the original request without replacing the 5-way with something that actually has a lug per position.  You'll probably also need more poles on one or more of the switches.  Haven't actually worked it out, and am kind of surprised that I wasn't able to find anything over at guitarnuts.  Didn't really look too far though...

My main gigging guitar is HHH.  Its predecessor had 3 x DP5T rotaries to give off/series/parallel/one coil/other coil for each.  These were all in parallel.  When I upgraded to the new one, I went with 3 x 3P4T switches to give off/series/parallel/one coil for each, connected together via two DPDT "subsystem" series/parallel switches, and a phase switch for the neck.  It's not all of the possible combination, but with the SC-sized HBs in the thing (actually, one is a mini-HB) the different coils aren't far enough apart to make a noticeable difference between one coil and the other, and I've got it worked out so that everything works out hum-cancelling (don't remember exactly how just now...).  It has one little "dead spot" gotcha which I couldn't get around without more poles, but it works quite wel!

Striker Amplification

it does do exactly what it is intended to do , he only asked for positions 2 and 4 to be effected by a series and or parallel switch- POS2=BRIDGE+MIDDLE POS4=NECK+MIDDLE. when SW1 is on POS4+5 are in series, when SW2 is on POS1+2 are in series. thus positions 2 and 4 are effected as intended.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

ashcat_lt

Quote from: Striker Amplification on July 18, 2013, 08:40:21 PM
it does do exactly what it is intended to do , he only asked for positions 2 and 4 to be effected by a series and or parallel switch- POS2=BRIDGE+MIDDLE POS4=NECK+MIDDLE. when SW1 is on POS4+5 are in series, when SW2 is on POS1+2 are in series. thus positions 2 and 4 are effected as intended.
I'm not trying to start a fight or anything, but when I read this:
QuoteHere's what i want to do..

Position 1,3,5 (bridge only, mid only, neck only)

Position 2,4 (bridge + mid and neck + mid)

There would be a switch that will either make the positions 2 and 4 parallel or series
I assumed that he wanted the 1, 3, and 5 positions to remain as normal.  Like I said, it's not an issue unless it is.  I don't really know rock_on from anybody, and can't say for sure that he won't wire it up and then wonder why it doesn't seem to do what he expected.

mistahead

I think you are both saying the same thing here...

Ignoring positions 1,3,5 - as they are is fine.

Position 2 is able to be switched between series and parallel using a switch, position 4 is able to be switched between series and parallel with another switch.

You end up with 1x5 way selector, 2x2 way selector (one for each pos 2 and pos 4) and the desired options.

Am I misreading the diagram ashcat? It seems to be right and carry out the above behaviour, but I'm no guru.

ashcat_lt

Quote from: mistahead on July 18, 2013, 11:26:16 PM
I think you are both saying the same thing here...

Ignoring positions 1,3,5 - as they are is fine.

Position 2 is able to be switched between series and parallel using a switch, position 4 is able to be switched between series and parallel with another switch.

You end up with 1x5 way selector, 2x2 way selector (one for each pos 2 and pos 4) and the desired options.

Am I misreading the diagram ashcat? It seems to be right and carry out the above behaviour, but I'm no guru.
I don't know.  What do you mean by "they are fine"?  Positions 1,3,5 change when you flip the S/P switches.  Is that okay with you?  Would you like to do basically the same thing with just one extra switch?

Edit - Actually, I was wrong in my assessment yesterday.  With both switches flipped you end up with (neck+bridge)*mid in positions 1,2,4,5 and dead in the middle.  That is, you have the bridge and neck in parallel with each other and that structure in series with the middle.  That's one more option than you asked for, which could be cool.  I personally don't love the redundancy in this system, and the dead spots make me nervous.

Edit again - Sorry, I was right the first time about "both switches flipped ".  It's just that the unused pickup is hanging by one end in the middle of the series string, possibly acting like an antenna to add noise.

Like I said before, it's only a problem if you think it is.  This scheme gets you the sounds you asked for, but has some consequences.  If you're going to use it in the studio, or in a "set and forget" manner, it'll work fine.  If you intend to be flipping these switches around in the middle of a song, though...  I don't have that much coordination.

mistahead

Ahhhh I see what you mean now... and I am guessing OP will need to make the decision there - as you know I'm playing catch up in most areas but you make sense here... I hardly flick pickups DURING a song so didn't think of the possibility/difficulty.

Rock_on

Hmmm is there something wrong with the wiring in the pic?

I dont have the parts yet, im busy doing college works.. So pls tell me so i know if i'll buy or not

Striker Amplification

No its not the wiring its the fact that if both switches are on at the same time you will get cancelation, there would really be no reason to have both on at the same time anyway, when you change pickups you flip the switch. hey Rock_on i sent you a PM was wondering if you read it.....Cheers! Ryan.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Rock_on

Striker Amplification