testing a buffer

Started by pufferton, July 16, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mpl006

Quote from: pufferton on August 13, 2013, 06:16:21 PM
Quote from: stallik on August 13, 2013, 06:11:06 PMIt's late, I'm tired so I may be mistaken but that ic looks to be orientated the wrong way round

ah crap...thats what the dot means...so i should put the dot in the top left corner right?

Yes. The dot denotes pin 1 of the IC. According to the layout you have, the IC is in backwards.  The semi-circle in the drawing is another way to show which way is "up" on an IC. The pun to the left of the semi-circle is also pin 1.  Rotate 180 degrees and try again.

pufferton

this community rocks! thanks for the help and info guys. ill switch it and let you guys know how it sounds. Hopefully i didnt fry it...good thing i got an extra  ;D

darron

Quote from: pufferton on August 13, 2013, 06:16:21 PM
Quote from: stallik on August 13, 2013, 06:11:06 PM
It's late, I'm tired so I may be mistaken but that ic looks to be orientated the wrong way round

ah crap...thats what the dot means...so i should put the dot in the top left corner right?

might be a good idea to replace the IC rather than recycle it.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!

pufferton

good call. if i do recycle it and its fried would it give me the same issues or just no audio pass thru?

if it gave me a different issue then it would help trouble shoot to make sure there is nothing else wrong the board before i add the new IC.

darron

Quote from: pufferton on August 14, 2013, 11:52:11 AM
good call. if i do recycle it and its fried would it give me the same issues or just no audio pass thru?

if it gave me a different issue then it would help trouble shoot to make sure there is nothing else wrong the board before i add the new IC.

as with an 072, if you put it in backwards you'll see you've pretty much shorted hooked up + / - backwards. also, the signals won't be going where they are meant to be going anyway:

hard to say if it will work. you can try it with a socket and see quickly :)

once you have the IC out hopefully the board won't be shorting out the power supply anymore so give that a quick check before you put the new one in.
Blood, Sweat & Flux. Pedals made with lasers and real wires!