easy pedal smooth mod

Started by Striker Amplification, July 19, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker Amplification

If you dont like the way a crossover resistor sounds looped into the output section of your pedal....try this. ;) you can snip the secondary leads off if you do use an output transformer.
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Jdansti

Which side is 8Ω?  The primary side connected to the effect output and jack?
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...

Striker Amplification

the secondary would be the 8 ohm side ;)
Builds:Plexi superlead mkll 100,plexi superlead mkll 50, 59 plexi, 59 4x10 bassman, marshall bass and PA head 100, JTM45, modded JTM45-lead,JCM800 lead 50.

Striker Amplification

this certainly helps with the shrill produced by alot of guitar pedal,..........plus it sounds perfect :icon_mrgreen:

Jdansti

Ok. The schematic shows that you're connected to the primary. What are the specs on the primary?
  • SUPPORTER

Striker Amplification

The output trannys primary winding is approx-7k (7000 ohms)

Jdansti

• SUPPORTER

Striker Amplification

No problem! Try it and tell me what you think.....

slacker

Sorry, what's a crossover resistor? Never heard the term before.

ch1naski

It's like a pulldown coil.
Mockingbird wish me luck.

Derringer

just seeing if I understand correctly,

So this concept is to put the output capacitor in series with an inductor as opposed to a high pass RC arrangement?

I imagine you'd still want to use a pulldown resistor though, something greater than or equal to 1meg, to prevent pops if the output of the circuit is part of the bypass switching arrangement?

I imagine the induction somehow is taming the highs? Is that the case? How can you calculate the frequency response of a network like this as I'm only familiar with the RC network equations?

Striker Amplification

yes you will still want to use a pulldown resistor, but the inductor mixes the frequency response, it does not just tame the highs, the output is re-shaped so to speak. Its nothing like simply turning down a treble pot.

pinkjimiphoton

for all intents and purposes it's a choke as found on a tube amp. it saturates nicely usually.

or go 1:1 and isolate the output of the effect and the jack if you really want that transformer saturation sound.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Striker Amplification

Striker Amplification

Its very easy to breadboard, 2 wires ,thats it.

pinkjimiphoton

transformer saturation is a nice sound... lotta harmonics, thick, smooth and warm....

we used to swap out the reverb pan in fender amps for a 470k (if memory serves) resistor... then your reverb control becomes and overdrive control , it was a pretty cool sound.
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Striker Amplification

Thank you jimi! see ,im not just full of it and crazy.........i have a point .....and im crazy :icon_eek:

pinkjimiphoton

you may be crazy, but you're not nuts. i dunno about labeling archaic audio electronic tricks as your own flying around here, but so far most of what i've seen you post is interesting and often based on concepts people have forgotten about or never explored in diy.

i applaud you obviously being a sick bastige like me that will apply any electro tech to any other electro tech... roach clips in hand...heh heh... to figure out something "new" that people have forgotten about, or that "can't possibly work, you non-ee!!"

sometimes stuff that shouldn't work does... from my dumb "bias clipper" idea to the emitter clipper thing kingsway fair used so eloquently recently (try messing with single diodes and opposing pairs of diodes in the e to ground part of a transistor circuit, REALLY unusual soft assymetric clipping) often people say "hey, you can't do that"...

i say, sure, but hey, if it works, it works.  sometimes dumb stuff can improve the sound of things. other times ya need some rocket science.

sometimes a couple roach clips on a few inches of wire clipped to key points of a circuit can lead to some cool ideas.

so... i say.....

rock the f*** on, ryan!!    :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

R O Tiree

What you've invented, there, Ryan, is a bog-standard LCR band-pass filter. Any anti-pop resistor you put in there is also going to be in parallel with the input impedance of the next pedal, so the calculations aren't altogether trivial. Next trouble is, you can't just smash any old thing in there. Well, you can, but the results are going to be pretty unpredictable. What are the values of the components? The pass-band depends heavily on RLoad and big R = larger bandwidth but less damping. Centre-freq depends on L and C values. How much damping are we looking at? What is the resonant frequency?

The devil is in the details. The circuit(s) you tried it on, with that particular transformer and with the other critical components in this part of the circuit together with what's next in the signal chain might well sound very cool indeed (sound clips?). It is easy to strap a coil into the circuit... less easy to tell what it's actually going to do.
...you fritter and waste the hours in an off-hand way...

Striker Amplification

Exactly mike, but my point is -why have you not done it? i know what it is but , what is stopping everybody else from doing it?? i could say the same thing for some pedals, i would say "what you have posted is nothing more than a bog-standard tube screamer revision" its that simple and why do they get so much respect?? its not the circuit, its the way you use it  :icon_idea: :icon_idea: :icon_idea: :icon_idea: