easy pedal smooth mod

Started by Striker Amplification, July 19, 2013, 07:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

That sounds cool. 70V on plates!

pinkjimiphoton

wow bry, that's really low... does it sound like a fuzz?

what would that be to bias at.... class d or something?
well, if it sounds good, and i bet it's REAL brown and harmonically rich...it IS good!!

here's proof pinky shouldn't drink so many doubles while playing with electrical stuff.

the first song of the night was kinda a balls manouever... who opens up a club date with pink floyd? ;)

by the time ya get to whippin' post at 140bpm, i was gettin' THERE.... lol

my friend recorded the whole mess, preserved for posterity here: https://archive.org/details/JamNite2014-03-27.JamNite2014-03-27

some of it is pretty good.

you can tell how hard it is for us to hear each other sometimes, but we cover for each other well... lol...
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Brymus

Quote from: aron on March 28, 2014, 05:09:07 PM
That sounds cool. 70V on plates!
Yeah I was surprised, I used the VRM (same as VVR) from Trinity amps.I built it on a piece of garolite with the recommended mosfet.
My B+ ranges from 385V with SS rectifier(365 with EZ81) down to 35V,and at 35V it does sound kinda fuzzy,but at 70V it sounds very nice and can be played at bedroom levels.
I had to go from scaling all the B+ to just voltage scaling the power tubes ,because the 12AX7s didnt sound right to me at the lower voltages.(its IMO not worth doing unless you only scale the PA)
But man I am sold on the whole voltage scaling thing,I plan on adding it to my other 18 watt amp and modded EVJ too.
The thing I like is with the SS rectifiers I have enough B+ to run Octals and can just lower the B+ with a knob for using the EL84s.
I think total parts cost is about 10-12$ for the pot,Knob,mosfet, 3 resistors,and zener.

@Jimi dude you guys sound great! listening right now 8)
Your so lucky to have a good keyboard player,it really fills out the sound,but a good harp and sax player too  :icon_eek: :icon_mrgreen:
I am just a tad envious... ;)
And IDK what the bias is at the lower B+ ,my understanding is that the bias cools as you lower the plate voltage in self (cathode) bias mode.
I recall someone stating (at 18watt board) they had a separate cathode resistor on a switch to keep the bias hot at low voltages,this I haven't tried,because it sounds good enough to me as is.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

pinkjimiphoton

a little video too

me and agitprop on the guitars.... both playing mostly stuff we diy'd
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Jdansti

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on March 28, 2014, 08:30:46 PM

a little video too

me and agitprop on the guitars.... both playing mostly stuff we diy'd

Sounds great!
  • SUPPORTER
R.G. Keene: EXPECT there to be errors, and defeat them...