Where can I find "perfectly" square enclosures?

Started by pappasmurfsharem, July 19, 2013, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pappasmurfsharem

Since the typical hammond clones lightly taper to the top and are more of a trapezoid then square.

Do they have any straight side square enclosures? Where would I find them?
"I want to build a delay, but I don't have the time."

Buzz

I have been told cast enclosures must have a certain amount of taper. This is to enable them to be removed from the mold during manufacture.

For a square sided enclosure you might have to go with the folded sheet metal variety.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Buzz on July 19, 2013, 11:20:42 PM
I have been told cast enclosures must have a certain amount of taper. This is to enable them to be removed from the mold during manufacture.

For a square sided enclosure you might have to go with the folded sheet metal variety.

Makes sense and maybe this is just an optical illusion...

On the other forum someone posted their build of the Suhr Riot and it seems awfully square.

Mustachio

Possibly eddystone enclosures ? They are hammond boxes from across the pond. I think they may be more square but not sure if its perfectly square. D'astro uses em I think, he should know.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

Buzz

It does look very square. It's a better looking box than a Hammond.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected stompbox machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the MIDI-controller!

R.G.

Buzz is correct. The normal die casting process requires a slant ("draft") of 1/2 to 2 degrees on all sides so the cooled metal can be removed from the mold.

I suppose it would be possible with many-sectioned dies, but that would be even more expensive - and possibly dramatically so -  than normal die casting.

The walls have some thickness. Perhaps they could be machined or sanded square.

As my friend the contracts negotiator told me, there's always a number. You may not like the number, but there's always a number.  :icon_biggrin:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

pappasmurfsharem

I messaged the builder hopefully he responds. I'll let you guys know if he does

pickdropper

Quote from: Buzz on July 19, 2013, 11:20:42 PM

In the tooling world, that is referred to as draft.

You usually need some level of draft in order to remove (or eject) parts from the mold.  But many of the enclosures have a significant draft to them.  And they rounding of the edges isn't required (the draft is in the direction of the pull).

I would guess that the enclosures are more rounded as a stylistic choice, but there could be other reasons that I am missing.

pickdropper

I wasn't fast enough; R.G. beat me to it.

Yes, if you have slides, it could be completely square, but it will add significant tooling cost and will leave witness lines along the top edge of the box.  You can minimizes those with higher quality tool, but again at more cost.

Focalized

I think with that box up there the builder just tooled the edge to make it look like a faceplate.

pickdropper

Quote from: Focalized on July 20, 2013, 02:21:23 AM
I think with that box up there the builder just tooled the edge to make it look like a faceplate.

Hmmm, you might be right.  I thought it actually had an etched faceplate on it.

I assumed we were talking about the sides of the box.

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: pickdropper on July 20, 2013, 09:03:36 AM
Quote from: Focalized on July 20, 2013, 02:21:23 AM

Hmmm, you might be right.  I thought it actually had an etched faceplate on it.

I assumed we were talking about the sides of the box.

We are, or at least I am ;)

Liquitone

I have a Hammond and an Eddystone enclose here to compare, both 1590B's. the Eddystone has sharper edged corners and the side are less slanted than the Hammond, but only by one mm difference measured top to bottom.
Hammond top /bottom width difference is 2mm, eddystone top/bottom width difference is 1mm. Also the Eddystone is 2mm wider in total than the Hammond.

kingswayguitar

"You may not like the number, but there's always a number."

love that quote

Mac Walker

You could have a machine shop mill out a perfectly square box, like Suhr does.

@ 7:40 in.  Can't imagine how this is cost effective, though......

deadastronaut

yep eddystones are squarer..... ;)...with a very slight taper from base to top....corners are defo more square...very easy  to work with too for sanding/etching etc.

https://www.youtube.com/user/100roberthenry
https://deadastronaut.wixsite.com/effects

chasm reverb/tremshifter/faze filter/abductor II delay/timestream reverb/dreamtime delay/skinwalker hi gain dist/black triangle OD/ nano drums/space patrol fuzz//

Buzz

Mustachio

Nice Rob, I thought the eddystone would be the best bet. I think I remember we had a thread about enclosures and the squareness of the eddys where discussed a bit. Wish they where easier to get in the US.
"Hhhhhhhnnnnnnnnnnnnngggggggg"

pappasmurfsharem

Quote from: Mustachio on July 21, 2013, 06:18:20 AM
Nice Rob, I thought the eddystone would be the best bet. I think I remember we had a thread about enclosures and the squareness of the eddys where discussed a bit. Wish they where easier to get in the US.

Where CAN you get them in the US?

davent

Could it be one of those rare items not available within the US marketplace? Eddystone website says they were acquired by Hammond in XXXX and products are available through their UK subsidiary.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/eddys.htm

Banzai (Germany?) has them. http://www.banzaimusic.com/Diecast-Aluminum/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photobucket-hotlink-fix/kegnjbncdcliihbemealioapbifiaedg