Tonebender volume.

Started by Focalized, July 20, 2013, 03:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Focalized

Built a great sounding Tonebender/supafuzz. Started with stock 470ohm resistor that sets the volume. Went to a 1.2k as shown on the Fuzz Central layout. Still has below unity gain at full volume. Will going higher with that resistor keep increasing volume? Or is there a point where it'll just alter the balance of the circuit. It's really nice sounding, best of the few others I made including a couple BYOC kits I had.

Using AC128 transistors. Would the transistors affect volume any?

duck_arse

the circuit I saw uses 470R + 8k2 = 8670R. keeping near this total value, vary your 470R value upwards, and your 8k2 value downwards, just like a volume pot. the transistor type should not make too much difference if they are biased in the good area ..... as you think it sounds great, it's biased right.
don't make me draw another line.

Electric Warrior

No, there must be something wrong. MKII types go way past unity at full volume. Stock.

LucifersTrip

yes, Q3C voltage probably low

remember, Fuzz Central notes that voltage at 4.5V instead of 7.5 - 9V
always think outside the box

Electric Warrior

That's where the voltage ends up, anyway. No tweaking needed at all.
The tricky part is finding transistors that work as well as OC75 in that circuit (if you don't have actual OC75s at hand). Most transistors I've come across leak too little for this one. It can be setup with really leakage transistors as well, but in my experience it's much, much easier when they leak a lot.

Focalized

The transistors are in the right gain range but I don't think they're very leaky.

I used an outer trim pot to set  Q3 collector between 4 and 8v. At the higher side it gets a bit louder, the smoothest sound is in between.

Still great sounding, but not something to switch on and off a lot in a band. The BYOC one I have is loud enough but is brighter and thinner. This new one has more of a Fuzz Face tone with more sustain. 

Electric Warrior

Gain range is not that critical. I've had higher and lower gain OC75s and they all worked well.
With too little leakage some bottom end gets lost and it farts out when gating. Higher leakage types still sound good when gating.

The BYOC uses a 100k resistor at Q1's base iirc. It should sound thicker and the attack pot should have a better range with a 10k (as used in all vintage OC75 units).
The bias resistor on Q3's collector is not very useful. One could use one on Q2's collector to dial in just the right amount of gating and clean up (or lack of it). Swapping the transistors around can achieve the same thing, so I don't bother.

Focalized

It sounds good enough as is I shouldn't mess with it anymore. It only sounds quieter turned on when the guitar volume maxed. It's balanced on and off with it down some. I made a grease box that has a similar sound with good volume. Thought I'd sell the bender but don't want a complaint about the volume.

Arcane Analog

You definitely have issues. A MKII should destroy unity.

Electric Warrior

What kind of pickups are you using?

Focalized

Both humbuckers and P90 like pickups. I'm thinking it's compressing the volume at max guitar volume, maybe? Gives it a great juicy sustain with very dynamic attack.

Focalized

Ah maybe i'm perceiving things wrong. My Classic 30 clean is has a very strong bass that gets compressed by a fuzz and at low house levels I guess it sounds like it's quieter. At that low level. Playing with it more I don't think it's a problem. Made a clip that I'll include if I try and sell this one.  Recorded with a field recorder about 4 feet away. Nice.

https://soundcloud.com/focalized/tonebender/s-Xa8ki