Too much level when my TS808 is dimed!

Started by simpleobserver, July 22, 2013, 03:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Marossy

bluebunny

I think we should get back on-topic.  We're all in danger of providing yet more proof of how bl00dy old we all are!!   :D

BTW, decimalisation in the UK happened the day before my sixth birthday...   :icon_rolleyes:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

mremic01

Quote from: Mark Hammer on July 22, 2013, 04:12:43 PM
You may be one of a handful of people on earth who complain that they are getting too much output from their TS-808.  :icon_lol:  Most will ask how to get a little MORE volume from their pedal.

But yeah, using a linear taper pot where a log/audio taper ought to be used instead will often result in problems such as you face.  It was a frequent ploy (or at least suspected as one) "back in the day" for manufacturers to use linear pots for volume on amplifiers.  The customer would come into the store, be super-impressed with how loud the amp was at "2" and presume that it would necessarily be concert-worthy at "7", when what they heard at "2" was pretty much as loud as it was gonna get.

Really? All the TS mods I see are for more gain. Not so much for more volume. As it happens, I'm looking to squeeze more volume out of my TS builds at low drive settings. I can get a lot more volume using LEDs for clippers, but only at higher gain settings. Completely turned down, or with the drive pot at about 9 o'clock, the volume boost isn't that much. Could it be as simple as putting a higher value level pot in there?
Nyt brenhin gwir, gwr y mae reit idaw dywedut 'y brenhin wyf i'.

R.G.

Quote from: mremic01 on August 10, 2013, 02:38:33 PM
I'm looking to squeeze more volume out of my TS builds at low drive settings. I can get a lot more volume using LEDs for clippers, but only at higher gain settings. Completely turned down, or with the drive pot at about 9 o'clock, the volume boost isn't that much. Could it be as simple as putting a higher value level pot in there?
No, sorry. You actually have to put another gain stage in to get more volume than you get out of the clipping stage. See "Technology of the Tube Screamer" at geofex.com.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.