DIY Solid State Spring Reverb

Started by livinlavidaloca, April 21, 2016, 03:16:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

livinlavidaloca

I have an old Gibbs spring tank (1975) lying around that I'd like to use. It measures 171.4 ohm at the input and 167.1 ohm at the output on my DMM.

Do you know of a good sounding circuit where I can use this tank? I know that it won't work with a Fender-type reverb unit.

Thanks!

LeroyP

Spring reverb tanks are measured in impedance not resistance. Most DDM's don't have an impedance facility.

Leigh

anotherjim

True of course, but DMM measured resistance is useful to identify mass produced coils since a particular spot impedance from the range will have a related resistance.
So here...
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/tech_corner/spring_reverb_tanks_explained_and_compared
Spring reverb data with a chart with resistance added in for each impedance choice you could get.
Also a drive/amp scheme from Marshall on that page which might well do it for you, although the drive op-amp could be replaced by a small power amp like LM386 for single supply/low voltage, it'll depend on what power supply you'll have available.

Les Paul Lover

Is that to build a spring reverb head, or are you thinking of a (large) stompbox?

Spring tanks are rubbish in stomp boxes as they pick up all vibrations / kicks / stomps.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk