Transistor with broken leg\lead

Started by dthurstan, August 05, 2013, 03:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dthurstan

Hey

I snapped the leg of off 1 of my AC128s the other day that I'm using in a Mk II.   :'(

I did a quick search to see if there was any advice, general consensus was it's dead or to use it as a diode...

But I didn't give up, I soldered the leg back on as quick as I could, stuck it in the frezzer for a few seconds and it worked!!!

:icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin: :icon_biggrin:

Soldering isn't great but it should hold. Measurements sometime before hfe 47, leakage 107mA. After hfe 51, leakage 118mA. I think I was very lucky that I didn't burn it, but I thought it was worth a try.

GibsonGM

• SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

tubegeek

"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Thecomedian

it's interesting to see how much leakage change also changed the hFE reading. Do you think the leakage/hFE ratio is constant? Might be a new way to calculate out leakage when determining true hFE.
If I can solve the problem for someone else, I've learned valuable skill and information that pays me back for helping someone else.

mistahead

Need more data, but interesting, I think there is a third measurement still required...

I like data...

CodeMonk

I've had to do that a time or three.
Here is an RCA 2N270 I got at an electronics surplus place.
Got them for a uhm...I forgot :) (Masetro FZ1?).
One of these days though.....

You did a nice job though.

dthurstan

Quote from: Thecomedian on August 06, 2013, 12:20:15 AM
it's interesting to see how much leakage change also changed the hFE reading. Do you think the leakage/hFE ratio is constant? Might be a new way to calculate out leakage when determining true hFE.

I think the hfe and leakage values are really only a guide only. I've measured the same transistor a number of times and get slightly different results each time, they are so sensitive to temp and it has been hot and humid here in the uk recently, I may measure all my AC128s again. I measured it about 5 minutes after taking it out of the freezer and I got hfe 54 and leakage 137mA, so I thought I'd leave it for a day and check again.

I put it in the tonebender last night after posting and it works as before. As mistahead said more data required. Maybe I'll break a few more transistor legs and see if I get the same results  :icon_eek: