Sourcing: Clone of Klon Centaur

Started by JPGraphX, August 06, 2013, 04:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPGraphX

Hi!

I would like to know if some people here have build a clone of Klon Centaur. I would like to have tips on where to find PCB, and good parts for it.

Thanks!

JP

aron

defaced

Try digging around some of the stomp box centric sites.  Maybe Madbean Pedals, BYOC forum, Grind Customs FX, FSB, etc. 
-Mike

midwayfair

First, in general, you might have better luck on Madbean (who has done PCBs for it) and FSB (who did the original tracing) for this specific pedal. We can't post the schematic here for discussion so a smaller percentage of this forum has built one or discussed it.

Anyway...

GrindCustoms sells a PCB project of true bypass and buffered bypass versions. Madbean has a PCB for the Kingslayer, which runs both halves of the pedal on a split rail and has clipping options and is, I think, an improved (or at least more versatile) version of the circuit. If you're feeling truly spicy, the Apis is a 1590A version (and yes, it's the full circuit): http://www.beejivepedals.com/home/projects/apis. GuitarPCB sells a version that doesn't use the charge pump, which is a little cheaper to build but doesn't sound quite as good to me.

There are no special parts in the Centaur, but the clipping threshold of the diodes can make a difference. You can just use common box caps and metal film resistors and then maybe splurge a bit on a few different types of germanium and Schottky diodes, socket the spots for them on the board, and have some fun messing with them before realizing that you're going to spend most of the time with the gain set really low so the diodes are barely doing anything.  :icon_rolleyes:
My band, Midway Fair: www.midwayfair.org. Myself's music and things I make: www.jonpattonmusic.com. DIY pedal demos: www.youtube.com/jonspatton. PCBs of my Bearhug Compressor and Cardinal Harmonic Tremolo are available from http://www.1776effects.com!

JPGraphX