using relays?

Started by axr, August 22, 2003, 02:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

axr

i was thinking if i can use relays instead of 3pdt switches?
i can get a 12v 5a relay that works like a 4pdt in my local shop, what you think guys?
but my main ? is if i use that relay will i get the annoying popping sound that sometimes carry some dpdt's? (i will run the pedals at 11-12v)

thanks in advance

Mike Burgundy

if you're running on adapterpower, sure you can use relays. Actually, on batteries as well, but the relays'll eat them like cookies.
Just make sure you parallel the coil with a reversed diode. I think GEO has some nice simple but trouble-free switching logic up somewhere.
The pops in switches are almost always caused by one of two things: DC offset or dirty/bad contacts.
The first can be prevented by using coupling caps and high-value resistors to ground to ensure the switched path resides at 0V.
The latter is cured by replacing the switch or cleaning the contacts. Most footswitches are made for high-voltage applications - the contacts don't need to be all that great: the higher voltage will burn across any small imerfection. Guitar-level signal however doesn't pack that punch and suffers from contacts that aren't perfect.
Relays can be found with gold or silver-plated contacts - these are perfect. Your find probably works perfectly as well.
One thing: if the contaqcts "bounce" (meaning ON/OFF/ON/OFF really quick) that'll sound like some sort of pop as well. A bit of switching logic cures this, but it may very well work okay without.
A cheaper way might be switching with FETs or MOSFETS. Just an idea ;)

Aharon

I found a simple schem for relay switching,built it and works fine.I must say I left the project to do other  stuff and I haven't connected a signal to it yet but the relay switches remotely.I need a  LED to show status and I haven't been lucky yet .
The designer swears it's silent

Look here first on the schem list

http://www.vanhelden.demon.nl/gear/schema.htm#custom

if anybody has an idea on how to implement a LED here I'll appreciate it.
Hope it helps
Aharon
Aharon

R.G.

There are several variations on how to build cheap, low power, silent, reliable footswitching, both local and remote, at GEO - http://www.geofex.com.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.