Spyder / Weber power supply enclosure recommendations?

Started by Kirk A, August 19, 2013, 12:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kirk A

I've ordered a Weber nine-secondary transformer, and plan to create my first pedal power supply, using the GFX Spyder design information. I would welcome recommendations for an enclosure. My initial consideration is a Hammond 7.88" x 4.78" x 3.17" 1590EE (http://www.hammondmfg.com/jpeg2/1590EE_Is.jpg) enclosure.

In addition to housing the 2.5" x 3" x 2" transformer, and nine barrel plugs with regulators and capacitors, I would also like to mount on the upward-facing surface (i.e., box bottom) a DC voltage panel meter with a 2-pole 10-position rotary switch in order to selectively display the voltage of any individual leg of the spider. The switch will have an unwired (off) position. For each switch position wired to one of the barrel jacks, a corresponding LED will illuminate in order to match the meter display with the plug.

While most legs will be 9v or 12v, I may opt for some LM317 adjustable regulators. I have not yet decided between outboard-mounted pots or internal trim-pots. For externally accessible pots, I would prefer something to avoid accidental adjustment, such as flush-mounted if at all possible. As a relative nooB, I'm still orienting myself with the parts that are available.

Your recommendations are welcome. Thanks.
-Kirk

defaced

-Mike

gjcamann

Sounds like the same kind of box I've got on hand and am saving for just the same project. With the popularity of 9&18V pedals now, you may want to add an 18V jack by taking 2 taps in series to give you 18V.