Pedal Building Book?

Started by Drewmeyer, August 20, 2013, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drewmeyer

Does anyone know of a good, informational book which contains information on building pedals (detailing components and how they work and the like) which could help a beginner, like me, begin to understand how pedals actually work so I could begin designing my own circuits. I understand that some stuff comes with time, and I have access to the internet which probably contains every piece of information I could ever need to know, but I'd like to have a lot of that relevant information in one, easy to access place such as a book. Thanks!

mistahead

If memory serves Merlin wrote one I believe is available from Small Bear.

smallbearelec

The only How-To-Build book that I presently carry is R. G. Keen's PCB Design opus. I would like to carry others and welcome suggestions.

SD

musiclikscreams

Smallbearelec, I love how ur on the forum and willing to take suggestions. I think that's freakin awesome!

mistahead

Sorry about that... maybe I'm off the mark but I could have sworn someone else had referenced Merlin's book.

MaxPower

I found a textbook "Electronic Principles" by Malvino in my local used bookstore.  It's a great book imo. The math is pretty simple (some light algebra at worst) and it does a good job on transistors, JFETs, op-amps, and capacitors. It covers other components as well but these are the highlights. It's copyright is 1989 so may be hard to find, but a newer electronics textbook should be better one would hope.  So search your local used bookstores or try buying one off a college student on the cheap.

Texas Instruments has some PDFs you can download. For op-amps anyway. Maybe they have one for transistors? One op-amp pdf is "op amps for everyone".

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

Mark Hammer

Any of the available in-print books from Craig Anderton or Robert Penfold will do you just fine.  While it contains no schematics of projects, I find Anderton's Guitar Gadgets book an excellent introduction into systems thinking about FX.

induction

Brian Wampler has written a couple of books and made them freely available on the other forum.

merlinb

Ther is also the Stompbox Cookbook by Nicholas Boscorelli, which has some bits worth reading. The projects are, unfortunately, not all that practical. There is a PDF version of it floating around the net (check the other forum).

musiclikscreams

links to the PDFs would be awesome

caspercody

MaxPower

Handbook of operational amplifier applications:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/sboa092a/sboa092a.pdf

Op Amps for everyone design guide:
http://www.ti.com/lit/an/slod006b/slod006b.pdf

They appear similar. Op amps for everyone is the newer one. The other is an old "classic" which has been updated a bit. If those links are wrong for some reason just bing or google "texas instruments op amp pdf".
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us - Emerson

tubegeek

I get a lot of great insight from Rod Elliott (ESP)

Here is a link to his "Articles" page, but the "Projects" articles also all contain many useful explanations in depth. There is a section of the "Articles" list headed, "Beginners' Luck - The beginners' Guide to ..." which is a good place to start, and he has a link to  Lenard which has a lot of good basic stuff.

A specific shout-out to ESP's "Designing With Op-Amps," a 3-part article with a great deal of worthwhile information - that's on the list linked below.

http://sound.westhost.com/articles.htm

And I'd be INSANE not to point you to GEOFEX: look up at the top of this page right next to your own avatar.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

GGBB

Quote from: MaxPower on August 21, 2013, 01:59:17 AM
I found a textbook "Electronic Principles" by Malvino in my local used bookstore.  It's a great book imo. The math is pretty simple (some light algebra at worst) and it does a good job on transistors, JFETs, op-amps, and capacitors. It covers other components as well but these are the highlights. It's copyright is 1989 so may be hard to find, but a newer electronics textbook should be better one would hope.  So search your local used bookstores or try buying one off a college student on the cheap.

I have that book!  It was one of my textbooks for my introductory electronics course at college.  I don't think I actually ever read it (the course was mostly practical electronics and no theory) - maybe I will now.
  • SUPPORTER

PRR

> I have that book! 

Read it. Keep it at bedside or near the potty.

Don't worry about "edition". Electronics 101 doesn't change much. *Publishers* re-fluff the formatting to make page-numbers come out different, to spoil the used-textbook market (when prof says 'turn to page 234', it will be a different page in another edition). If you just read-through, that don't matter at all.

Malvino is fine, so are several others. They work you on BASICs, battery resistors currents, for a month before they even let-on that transistors exist. MOST hang-ups I see "understanding transistors" are really poor grasp of basic plumbing. Do 50 Ohms Laws 3 times a day and build your mental muscle.
  • SUPPORTER

mistahead

I've been finding, as far as basic component knowledge goes, the older the material the less BS filled it is.

Someone posted a link to an understanding transistors article set from the early days of hobby transistors - that (and of course the colourfully presented info from folks like PRR and R.G., merlin, etc.) seems less... well polluted than current resources.

2c for a grain of salt!